Scan Tailor Advanced

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

4lex4
Number of books owned: 0

Scan Tailor Advanced

Post by 4lex4 »

The Scan Tailor version that merges the features of the Scan Tailor Featured and Scan Tailor Enhanced versions, brings new ones and fixes.

You will get the power of both versions and full control over settings on output (disabling smoothing, for example), adaptive binarization, new dark and light color schemes, multi-threading batch processing, ability to split mixed output to foreground and background layers with ability to have color foreground and the fixes for some old bugs of Enhanced and Featured versions.

To read more, visit GitHub project page.
Download the latest release: https://github.com/4lex4/scantailor-advanced/releases (Win64, Win32, WinXP, Linux x64 versions are available)
zbgns
E-book readers owned: Tolino, Kindle
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Scan Tailor Advanced

Post by zbgns »

I am really happy that there is still development on ScanTailor. The Advanced version looks really great and seems to work seamlessly. I am even more happy seeing that there are also plans to adapt some features available in the Experimental version. I appreciate especially the dewrap correction being moved to the earlier stage.
Many thanks for your work.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Hi 4lex4, great to see new work being done on ScanTailor!

I see on github issues that command line processing is not yet implemented but set in a milestone - looking forward to that feature!

I still use the old Scan Tailor Enhanced because it supports command line mode and can accept pre-cropped (with other tools) input images, apply only deskew and binarization (no further cropping, no dewarp) and then output tif. It would be neat to speed that up with GPU and multi CPU processing.

By the way there is also another recent ScanTailor fork on github called ScanTailor Universal . Can you comment on differences/similarities between that fork and yours?
xerum

Post by xerum »

Thank You Thank You 4lex4 for continue the development of ST. I wish to ask if you could include some of Tulon's Experimental features.

The main feature i love from Experimental is > Margins > "Match Size by Scaling"

Regards
Xerum
xerum

Post by xerum »

Additional to my request above is it possible in the OUTPUT stage in MODE section
When Color/Gray setting is selected to make a function along the following concept.

use eyedropper to select a color on the page (e.g. yellow tint) and make it white.

I've scanned/processed 1000's of books with all variants of ST and found that if i keep the scan in color and use Adobe Clearscan for OCR i get the best results and size reduction (due to adobe clearscan).

However the problem is when scanning pages in color many books will have a yellowing/tan (250, 242, 179) colored background (not perfect white) and would like to whiten the background color.

A tolerance percentage slider upper/lower boundary could be applied eg +/-5%
i.e. yellow to capture all variants of yellow between the boundaries. 245-255, 240-245, 175-185.

One could adjust the boundaries until as much yellow tint has been removed from the scanned color pages.

Thank you in advance.
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

nice version. thanks a lot . especially for art books

--1 is it possible to make a version like this with the following steps involved ?

1 step fix orientation
2 deskew
3 straighten text lines(that is an abbyfinereader command and the main reason i keep using it is to edit images ) or something similar like keystoning command from scantailor but more advanced.
4 manual crop for odd or even pages
5 split pages
6 content
7 margins
8 output

--2 Is it possible to auto edit archives from an folder to an output

scanners with mobile phones can connect easier to pc and then transfer the captured pictures to a folder . lets name that folder "folder for edition".

is it possible to edit jpeg images that are added to "folder for edition" with scantailor ? for the output folder rescale every image to suggested dimensions and edit for width and height .

--3 how people can contribute to this project what knowledge do they need to edit scantailor?
4lex4

Post by 4lex4 »

Guys, thank you for your support too. Sorry but I can't handle feature requests now due to no time and I'll do only bug fixes and moving some features from the experemental version. Try to post your feature requests to the author of ScanTailor Universal (link above) on github.

xerum,
i found recently that ST Advanced does not handle JPG files
Please send me as PM a few such files.
i found that Deskew when i apply manual zero degrees to ALL scans it does not hold and always reverts back to Auto
I'll try to replay and fix that.
cday

Post by cday »

4lex4 wrote: 06 Nov 2017, 13:30 xerum,
Please send me as PM a few such files.
Attachments are not supported in PMs :(, but some JPG files could be attached to a forum post, or possibly better put in a ZIP archive and attached.
TeAge1

Grey/White Margins + Page Box

Post by TeAge1 »

Hello!

I recently downloaded Advanced, since the last version I use is the original one from 2012.

Wow, scantailor evolved a lot!!!

My question:
"White margins" do not appear white in color or mixed mode. They are grey now.
Is there something where I can check a box or s.th. to make them plain white again?

And another question:
What is the difference between margins and the "Page Box"? (If it is documented somewhere, I am very much happy If you could tell me where :) )

Have a nice day!
Tobi
4lex4

Post by 4lex4 »

It seems to be a problem of the new jpeg9b lib, I need to look into it deeper. Anyway rollback to official jpeg6b should fix that.
------
Yes, I've finally found the reason: jpeg9b from the independent group doesn't support the type of the compression of those files. I'm gonna rebuild everything to use jpeg6b for the next version.
i found that Deskew when i apply manual zero degrees to ALL scans it does not hold and always reverts back to Auto
Fixed. It will be available at the next update.

xerum, thank you for your report.