Sorting of input images - unescapable in an unexpected way

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Sorting of input images - unescapable in an unexpected way

Post by L.Willms »

You woud expect that Scan Tailor presents the image scans to be processed in the order of their file name, wouldn't you? But this is not the case, as I experienced recently.

I had scanned a book in part on my own flatbed scanner at home, and after the PC for this scanner went down for several weeks, I later scanned the rest on a scanner in the library where I had to give back the book anyway. Since I could not check until which page I had scanned, I started at a page wehre I could be quite sure not to skip any page.

As it turned out later, after my home PC became useable again, there was a big overlap. The file names of the image files did, of course, begin different in order not to confuse them.

But Scan Tailor disregarded those names, and -- what took me some time to find out -- searched something in the file names which could be understood as page number, and provided no means to change that. I changed the file names to have nontheless a sensible sorting, and readily accepted that the scans of one and the same page from different sources were side by side, or rather following each other directly.

Only the final output was again sorted by the file names...
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Sorting of input images - unescapable in an unexpected way

Post by Konos93a »

use this http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Download.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBiFAXXq80

have red squares like 14.55 on video and play with squares to see what fit in your work

rename the first part like a0001,a0002 ... etc

then the second part like b0001,b0002... etc

bring the files on a folder together and then rename them like 0001,0002,0002
after all of them use scantailor
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Re: Sorting of input images - unescapable in an unexpected way

Post by L.Willms »

I wrote that "I changed the file names to have nontheless a sensible sorting," so obviously I have something to change filenames. I do not need a separate utility for this, I do this with my commander (you know, those replacements for MS Explorer with the split window for two dirctories or foldes side by side, following the example of granddaddy Norton Commander), which is Freecommander.

Nontheless, I want that I can get Scan Tailor to sort the input files by their file name instead of imposing an order on the user which is based something guessed from the inside of the file names.