Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

New page splitting approach

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

New page splitting approach

Post by Tulon » 16 May 2010, 13:30

Hi everyone,

Remember we were discussing ways to improve page splitting accuracy? The problem was that it's hard to tell a book's spine apart from its vertical edge. So, it seems I found a dead simple way for dealing with this problem: don't try to tell them apart, just cut off everything beyond both of them. On the GUI level this means adding a second cutter to the "Split Pages" stage for single page cases. I've implemented all of that and you can try it in the new build:
http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/433777/
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: New page splitting approach

Post by daniel_reetz » 16 May 2010, 14:19

posted to news... will test once I get my own computer set back up.

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 17 May 2010, 00:20

Much better - completely eliminated "page split" errors on the two books I tested. That cuts down considerably on the manual intervention in the "select content" step too. Thanks!

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty » 17 May 2010, 09:37

I haven't had the chance to test yet, but this sounds great! Thanks a lot, Tulon.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.