Version 0.9.9pre4; lots of changes; needs testing

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Version 0.9.9pre4; lots of changes; needs testing

Post by Tulon »

Hi everyone,

Here is a new build: http://www.onlinedisk.ru/file/439612/
I made a lot of changes since 0.9.9pre3. Many of those were archirectural changes required to support the new page sorting feature. This means it's quite likely I introduced new bugs. Please test this one thouroughly, that is not like the last time, when two major bugs related to double cutters went unnoticed.

The areas especially needing testing are:
* Various GUI manipulations on the Split Pages stage.
* Various GUI manipulations while page loading or batch processing is in progress.
* Navigating and batch processing the sorted list of pages.
* "Apply to ..." functionality on every stage, both with sorted and unsorted pages.

I am planning on making the 0.9.9 release in a couple of weeks. I hope I wouldn't need to make a follow-up release because serious bugs leaked through testing.

P.S: Please only report bugs introduced recently.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Tim

Re: Version 0.9.9pre4; lots of changes; needs testing

Post by Tim »

If I pull the latest code from GIT will it be the same version? If not, can you create a 0.9.9pre4 version tag in GIT so I can pull that version for building and testing on Linux and Mac?

Update:
I tried just pulling the latest snapshot from GIT, but it failed to build. I filed a bug. Once I get it to build I'll try to test as much as I can.
Last edited by Tim on 24 May 2010, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Tim wrote:If I pull the latest code from GIT will it be the same version? If not, can you create a 0.9.9pre4 version tag in GIT so I can pull that version for building and testing on Linux and Mac?
Tag "0.9.9pre4" created.

Update: a build problem was discovered and fixed. I moved the tag forward, but I am not sure you are going to pull the correct version using it. Probably it's safer to pull head.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks for the quick fixes. Actually I didn't bother to pull based on the tag. I discovered It's really easy to grab a snapshot from sourceforge's web interface, so I just grabbed the latest tgz that way.

I'll update once I have done some testing, but with the fixes, it built and loads fine.
daphnis

Post by daphnis »

I realize this may not be the best thread for such a request, but where/how should I submit feature requests either based on this build or the latest official one?

EDIT: I read Tulon's reply http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =400#p3757 and saw that new feature requests aren't being considered presently. Sorry for the intrusion.
strider1551

Post by strider1551 »

I pulled the latest from git last night. In the fix orientation stage, apply to every other page wasn't functioning.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I can't get it to crash either. The thing I have noticed is that the Color/Grayscale mode in the output stage "forgets" about all the content selection and page layout from the previous steps and outputs an image to disk without any of those steps being done. Am I correct to assume that the Color/Grayscale choice doesn't do any image processing to the image (such as despeckling, etc) if the equalize illumination option isn't chosen? In other words, do I get an non-degraded image as output if I choose no despeckling? If so, would it make sense not to change the DPI of the results by default? If not, what processing is being done in the output stage.

The second thing I have noticed is the scrollbar in the preview/thumbnail pane doesn't allow scrolling to all images because the previews seemingly want to keep running up off the top of the page, makes work more difficult than it used to be. I find I repeatedly have to hit page up to get back to the page I want to work on as I go through the stages. It would help if each stage reset back to the first image instead of starting on the last. I see that some of the changes were intended, but with no scrollbar *or* way to scroll with the mouse it makes it harder.

I also see that the changes to the Page Split stage were intended, and the new code is much more accurate in picking the correct side, but I found the green arrows useful to switch if needed.

Also the mixed mode allows adding image zones, but it doesn't allow unmarking zones that are incorrectly identified as images. I suppose that's an enhancement request, so ignore as you must. :) The way most OCR software works is that if you (right) click in an image zone, you get a context menu to clear that zone.
Last edited by Tim on 27 May 2010, 09:13, edited 3 times in total.
Misty

Post by Misty »

You can clear an image zone, Tim. Create an image zone, then right-click on it. You'll have three options - the default adds it to the auto selection, but you can also choose to remove the selected zone from the auto selection or remove it from all selections. Either of those alternate options will let you eliminate the incorrect zones.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, you can clear an image zone you added, but you can't clear any of the ones that were identified automatically.
Tim

Post by Tim »

strider1551 wrote:I pulled the latest from git last night. In the fix orientation stage, apply to every other page wasn't functioning.
But it does work for "every other selected page".