Screencast on basic Scan Tailor usage - help wanted

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Screencast on basic Scan Tailor usage - help wanted

Post by Tulon »

Antoha-spb wrote:
Tulon wrote:The current English version of the user guide is not too good.
It's highly desirable for the source material to be copyright-clean.
I got tons of Marine reference books dated up to late XIX century that i can share. They are copyright-free for sure. The only issue it that none of them are in English... And I can help with RU->EN translation to the extent of my English, i.e. to replace a machine, but not a native speaker.
I'd like to have several pages of those. Their language doesn't really matter.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Update: I've replaced basically all of the images with screenshots in English except the one that shows the whole main window of the software with a page being previewed. That one's not that critical, but it would be nice to replace as well. I've also edited, at least a little, each of the other pages in the guide.
Tim, well done and thank you for what you're doing! I'm a busy type (it's 0440 here at present, one of the few times I get to spend on the forum) and having done the initial [very] rough translation I'd hoped someone else would come along and do what you're just doing to sort it out, Great stuff :-)

Tulon, I'm going to borrow a flat-bed scanner from someone to do some more (copyright-free) scans for you in that format (as opposed to the photographs). Hopefully I can do this in the next few days and put them on the little NSLU2 for you. Dan, thanks for the offer re the images, I think in my case at least it's not much of an issue since it's only Tulon that'll be downloading them (unless you want them also for reference??).

Cheers, P.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

phaedrus wrote:Tulon, I'm going to borrow a flat-bed scanner from someone to do some more (copyright-free) scans for you in that format (as opposed to the photographs). Hopefully I can do this in the next few days and put them on the little NSLU2 for you.
Much appreciated.

I still need the following for the screencast:
* Shots from DIY hardware.
* Single page + neighbor offcut scans from a flatbed scanner.
* Single page without an offcut scans or shots.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb »

Hi Tulon

Try this link http://scanpix.plavmayak.spb.ru/diy.zip

If this is what you look for and need more such pages - let me know. Most of them contain tables and some tiny graphics.

BR
Anton
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Thanks Anton, these should do.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Thanks Anton, these should do.
Ah, had arranged to pickup scanner tomorrow.. I assume I don't need to now? At least it saves me a trip in the cold and wet we're having at the moment :-)

Cheers, P.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

phaedrus wrote:Ah, had arranged to pickup scanner tomorrow.. I assume I don't need to now? At least it saves me a trip in the cold and wet we're having at the moment
I haven't got any images from a flatbed scanner yet. I suppose I could do without them, but I'd certainly prefer to have them.
jesuzphreak

Post by jesuzphreak »

Tulon wrote:I haven't got any images from a flatbed scanner yet. I suppose I could do without them, but I'd certainly prefer to have them.
Do you still need scans? I have a paper version of The Conservative Nanny State by Dean Baker which was released under Creative Commons in 2006. If that would do, what resolution do you need and is bw ok or grayscale?

Regards
J.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Thanks, but the screencast is already done, so I no longer need them.