Renaming UI elements

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tim

Re: Renaming UI elements

Post by Tim »

I didn't agree with the changes at first either, but that's because I wasn't thinking of all of the things each stage does. For example if you think of splitting two pages apart then split pages is a good name, but in many cases all it does is slice off a bit of the book binding. That's not really splitting pages. The singular plural problem is there I suppose since when it does split a page now there is only one cut but when it cuts off both sides there are two. Vertical cut(s) works for that grammatically, but is cumbersome.

So they all look good to me, except I agree keeping select content is fine. It describes what it does fairly accurately, and perhaps slightly more so than "Content box".

I agree with Tulon that "deskew" is the accepted term in the field for a small rotation transformation to try to line a page up correctly. Steve, you grabbed the verb definition of skew. The noun definition lines up closely with what this deskew operation does.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Well I thought I'd put my money where why mouth is so to speak and have a wee play with a drawing package today. I've created three icons, purely for interest to see what you think. They're not that flash but in conjunction with the proposed changes I'd like to think that something similar may assist in comprehension of what's going to happen if that button is pressed... hopefully I don't need to tell anyone what they mean :mrgreen:
horizontal_align.jpg
horizontal_align.jpg (16.33 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
resize.jpg
resize.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
select_content.jpg
select_content.jpg (14.58 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
Any comments anyone? Obviously there's a few more that could be done! I'm not necessarily advocating using these, the current system works well I think, but I guess one could include something like this as a background or adjunct to the current text?

Incidentaly in the package I used to make these icons 'skew' definately isn't 'rotate', they're a very different function.

Cheers, P.
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

OK, I decided I will only rename two elements that everyone is happy with. Those would be:
Page Layout -> Margins
Align with other pages -> Match size with other pages
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.