Renaming UI elements

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Renaming UI elements

Post by Tulon »

Hi everyone,

I think it's time to rename some unfortunately named UI elements in Scan Tailor. So far I am considering the following changes:
Split Pages -> Vertical Cuts
Select Content -> Content Box
Page Layout -> Margins
Align with other pages -> Match size with others

Comments? Other renaming suggestions?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Renaming UI elements

Post by daniel_reetz »

I really like the idea of these changes. Although "Match size with others" is more general, maybe "match size across pages" (or something like that) reads a little better. It could almost be 'match sizes' without losing much.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

daniel_reetz wrote:I really like the idea of these changes. Although "Match size with others" is more general, maybe "match size across pages" (or something like that) reads a little better. It could almost be 'match sizes' without losing much.
"Match size across pages" sounds like a global setting, doesn't it? In reality it's a per-page setting. "Match size with other pages" is a little long but should still fit in a single line.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Tulon wrote: "Match size across pages" sounds like a global setting, doesn't it? In reality it's a per-page setting. "Match size with other pages" is a little long but should still fit in a single line.
Yes, it does, you're right.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

I'd go with "Match page sizes" or "Equalize page sizes" -- to me, the fact that they're being matched (or equalized) with other pages is strongly enough implied.

Also, I think based on past discussions, the most unfortunately named element is "Deskew", which most people expect to address things like keystoning. If you're renaming these en masse, maybe "Rotate page" or "Level page" would be less apt to be misinterpreted.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

spamsickle wrote:I'd go with "Match page sizes" or "Equalize page sizes" -- to me, the fact that they're being matched (or equalized) with other pages is strongly enough implied.
Same problem as with Dan's suggestion: they sound like a global setting, but it's not!
Also, I think based on past discussions, the most unfortunately named element is "Deskew", which most people expect to address things like keystoning. If you're renaming these en masse, maybe "Rotate page" or "Level page" would be less apt to be misinterpreted.
I think Deskew / Skew Correction are commonly accepted terms for this type of thing. In addition, I don't particularly like "Rotate page" (conflicts with Fix Orientation) or "Level Page".
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

Let me add my I vote for another word than deskew. Websters' Dictionary defines skew:
1 : to take an oblique course
2 : to look askance

To my mind, these are evocative of keystone distortion. In particular, the definition of oblique:
1 a : neither perpendicular nor parallel : inclined

The semantic arguments are always annoying. "Deskew" raises false hopes of the correction of keystone distortion. Do I have a constructive suggestion? Not a good one. Straighten. When one notices a picture on the wall is not sitting level, one straightens it by rotating it. However, this suggestion has its own weakness in that it may evoke false hopes that curved lines will be made straight! So, I'm not advocating for anything as much as against "deskew"
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Steve,

In research papers they call it Skew Correction and in other post-processing software they call it Deskew. Maybe it's not ideal, but everyone uses it. "Straighten" is even worse, IMHO, as it implies line uncurling.
phaedrus

Post by phaedrus »

Interesting, my view is that you got it mostly right first time around Tulon ;)

I wouldn't change 'Split pages', it says exactly what it means. If you do change it however it should be 'Cut' singular, not 'Cuts' plural
I wouldn't change 'Select content', it says exactly what it means.
I might change 'Page layout' to 'Margins', it's probably more accurate as to what it's doing.
I probably would change 'Align with other pages' to 'Match size to other pages', it's clearer to the user what it means.

I'm afraid I completey agree with 'Deskew' nay-sayers. It really does imply it's going to do some geometric transformation rather than mere rotation. I would suggest 'Horizontal align' or 'Text align' or 'Horizontally align text', like StevePoling almost anything but 'deskew'.

One of my degrees was in Ergonomics and I well remember the principle of 'affordances', that is that something told you what it was for without needing to tell you. In other words whn you looked at something you instinctively knew what to do with it - like a door handle affords 'pulling' whereas a door plate affords 'pushing' (ever since I've wondered why you'd put a handle on something that can only be pushed!). Likewise with what we've got here, not only should the text explain what it's about, it should also afford what it's about. Glue words don't matter much but things like 'Horizontal', 'Split', 'Select', Match' all clearly afford what they're doing by themselves without need for much else. So I think this is a valuable discussion. Perhaps in time some small Icons that also afford what's being done at that step would improve things too....
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

phaedrus wrote:I wouldn't change 'Split pages', it says exactly what it means. If you do change it however it should be 'Cut' singular, not 'Cuts' plural
It used to be single cut or no cut depending on the mode. Now there are two cutters for the single page mode. You could also interpret the plural form "cuts" as referring to multiple pages, just like the current "Split Pages" does.
I'm afraid I completey agree with 'Deskew' nay-sayers. It really does imply it's going to do some geometric transformation rather than mere rotation. I would suggest 'Horizontal align' or 'Text align' or 'Horizontally align text', like StevePoling almost anything but 'deskew'.
OK, "Horizontal align(ment?)" sounds acceptable.

More opinions please!
"Split Pages" or "Vertical Cuts"?
Is "Horizontal Alignment" OK?

I guess we already reached consensus on:
Page Layout -> Margins
Align with other pages -> Match size with other pages