Some Scan Tailor suggestions

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

eL_PuSHeR

Some Scan Tailor suggestions

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Hello.

I use Scan Tailor a lot but I think it would be useful if:

+ Left tool pane could be dragged horizontally (as a ribbon button). This way more width could be gained for working. It's not very comfortable when you work with lower resolutions (1024x768-)

+ Shrinking the right pane (pages thumbnails) would be nice too, for the same aforementioned reason.

+ Ability to skip certain stages (like fix orientation which I don't use).

+ Ability to set output resolution and colour depth when creating a new project. I usually work at 200-300dpi with Grayscale/colour. I hate the pause when SC first try to use 600dpi/BW.

That's all for now. Keep up the good work. I am going to check SC page. I am thinking of donating some money to its author to encourage him.

Best regards.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Some Scan Tailor suggestions

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey el_pusher,

Thanks for the suggestions -- the author, Tulon, sure gets a lot of them. Just to let you know, he's said that he isn't accepting suggestions right now (or possibly ever), so until we get some more developers on board, it's unlikely that you'll see these changes. Welcome to the boards!
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Thanks. No hurt in trying anyway. I have donate some money using Paypal to encourage his work. I hope he gets some helping hand sometime.
Mandor
E-book readers owned: lBook V8, lBook V3
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mandor »

3. If you don't use "fix orientation" stage, you can just skip it.
4. There is no need to wait until ST finish working on current page with default settings; you can change parameters (dpi, output) any moment.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Yes, but it still does some nasty pause.
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

I'm sorry, my english is not good and I still don't understand - what pause?
Switch to "output" stage and immediately set desired parameters; without delay.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

For instance, the delay converting the underlying image to 600dpi / BW, after selecting a different value, e.g. colour/grayscale 200dpi. They delay probably won't be very noticeable on fast machines.
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

Tulon, please – help! (In russian, on PM)
What delay?!
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

I mean, when working with Grayscale/Colour images, and selecting the last menu (Output), the program always convert current highlighted thumbnail to 600dpi/BW (default setting) even if you can choose anything else. There is a minor delay switching to 600dpi b/w > new chosen setting (grayscale/colour for instance).

I hope it's clear now. No big deal though.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Mandor wrote:Tulon, please – help! (In russian, on PM)
I didn't receive any PMs.
eL_PuSHeR wrote:There is a minor delay switching to 600dpi b/w > new chosen setting (grayscale/colour for instance.
If you are talking about that circular animation, it doesn't force you to wait. You can switch immediately to a different page or even a different stage.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.