scan tailor variations

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

ovencakerugby

scan tailor variations

Post by ovencakerugby »

Dear All
I have ben using Scantailor a bit and find that it has Quirks, ie if there is colour in a set of scans, it gets converted to grayscale or bitmap, which rather spoils the matter
Also some books that I have been doing have 2 or 3 columns per page, and what Scantailor does is scan neazrly all, OK but there are some with 2 or 1 column only after processing.
Also if there is a line drawing only on a page, this gets cropped.
Anyone out there with any ideas?
REgards
Demport
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: scan tailor variations

Post by Tulon »

ovencakerugby wrote:if there is colour in a set of scans, it gets converted to grayscale or bitmap, which rather spoils the matter
You are probably using the wrong output mode. The default one is Black and White and you probably need Mixed.
ovencakerugby wrote:Also some books that I have been doing have 2 or 3 columns per page, and what Scantailor does is scan neazrly all, OK but there are some with 2 or 1 column only after processing.
Computer vision algorithms will never be perfect, so a certain error rate is expected. Fortunately, it's easy to locate pages with a cropped column by sorting pages by content box width and examining the narrowest ones. This technique is mentioned in the video tutorial you'll find on Scan Tailor's download page.
ovencakerugby wrote:Also if there is a line drawing only on a page, this gets cropped.
It happens sometimes. No algorithm is perfect.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.