Different sized images, part 2

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

JonEP

Different sized images, part 2

Post by JonEP »

Hi all,

After having more or less successfully figured out how to use ScanTailor and my scanner to capture and process images, I'm left with the same problem I had initially. Namely, because each camera in my 2-camera rig is a slightly different distance away from the page, they are producing slightly different sized tiffs upon output. When gathered together in a PDF, even when resizing to a common width or height, the result is different sized pages. How can I make these pages, and the text within them, the same size?

Here are some details.

Camera A (shoots from left, at right page, producing the even page numbers):
Initial images were 240 pixels per inch (I measured the book, one inch was seven lines of text, I then used photoshop to select seven lines of text, and that was 240 pixels. I entered 240 x 240 in ST's 'correct DPI' dialogue).
After going through all the different steps on ST, when I output I used 460dpi (should I have used 480?).
Opening these images in Photoshop, and looking at image size gives this info:
Pixel dimensions 1.43M
Width 2737 pixels
Height 4363 pixels
Document size:
width 5.95 inches
height 9.48 inches
resolution 460pixels

Camera B (shoots from right, at left page, producing odd page numbers)
Initial images were 230 ppi. I entered 230 x 230 in ST's 'correct DPI' dialogue.
I output 460dpi from ST's final stage.
Photoshop provides this info on image size:
Pixel dimensions 1.61M
Width 2816 pixels
Height 4809 pixels
Document size:
width 6.122 inches
height 10.54 inches
resolution 460pixels

Thanks for any help or advice you can give on a) inputting correctly into scantailor and outputting from scantailor and b) any additional resizing that can be done to achieve same sized pages, same sized font.

Thanks!
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Different sized images, part 2

Post by Tulon »

The way to deal with this situation is to assign different DPIs to pages shot with different cameras. It looks like you did that, so my guesses are:
* You made a mistake and some pages got assigned wrong DPIs.
* You estimated your DPIs incorrectly. You mention you estimated them using 7 lines of text, while the tutorial recommends 6. Could it be that you used 6 for one camera and 7 for another?

If you fail to find the problem, make a screencast to demonstrate it.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.