Progress on dewarping functionality

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Progress on dewarping functionality

Post by daniel_reetz »

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

Another progress update video.

I've finished the manual dewarping and demonstrating some promising work in progress on the automated one.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I blogged it and donated some beer money. Thank you, Tulon! This is really great work.
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

Thks for the video and your work Tulon.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Wow, Tulon, that is some impressive work! I really like the debug feature!

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Misty

Post by Misty »

Really impressive work, Tulon! The progress you're showing in the video is just incredible.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Thanks guys.
rob wrote:I really like the debug feature!
That would be great, Rob! The code is in Git. Feel free to hack on it and ask questions.
BTW, I will probably need your help on the maths front soon. I am going to try to approximate the text lines with X-Splines. I already figured out how to do it if you can pre-assign tension factors to each control point and t values for each sample. I used this paper for inspiration. It's about B-splines, but it's straightforward to apply it to an X-Spline with hardcoded tension factors. It's already implemented in XSpline::fit() [warning: severe lack of documentation] and there is a commented out example somewhere in the source code. Now, while hardcoding tension factors is fine, pre-assigning t values is generally not. If I don't, I believe the problem will become a non-linear least squares one. That's something beyond my maths skills, but I know you can do it. Take a look at this paper as well. It may be an overkill for our purposes, but who knows. It's about B-splines again, but might be applicable to X-splines.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
knappen

Post by knappen »

I too made a donation. I consider it a pleasure to be able to show a token a gratitude for the effort you are putting into this project. Looking forward to the automatized dewarping!
ArchCarrier

Post by ArchCarrier »

Tulon wrote:So, I've made another progress update video and a test build you may try out.
The test build page only shows a link to a .torrent file. But there are no seeders. Can anyone post another link to this build? I'd really like to try out the new functions.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »