Understand DPI, it affects many things in Scan Tailor

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Understand DPI, it affects many things in Scan Tailor

Post by Misty »

It does vary a bit over the course of scanning a book, because the first page in a book is going to be a little closer to the camera and will take up more of the frame. I haven't typically found that it causes much difference to Scan Tailor, however. The only time I've had a very significant change was when the book was within less than a foot of the camera while scanning militia handbooks; in that case, I did have variations of up to 70DPI or so over the course of the book, but that didn't cause undesired results in Scan Tailor either.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
univurshul

Re: Understand DPI, it affects many things in Scan Tailor

Post by univurshul »

TJ-Shredder wrote:For Mac users as myself, finding the correct DPI works as follows.
I use the shareware GraphicConverter from http://www.lemkesoft.de/. It has some rudimentary processing possibilities...This is very exact, but in my experience, it could vary a bit...

I just tried this and am liking it; precise numbers, accuracy and makes sense. Thanks TJ-Shredder!