Scan Tailor infinite loop

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

jeffr

Scan Tailor infinite loop

Post by jeffr »

I'm doing a test run on my scanner and I have 12 JPG files, 6 from each camera.
I built scantailor 0.9.9.1 under Red Hat Fedora 13 (there was a problem with a missing
link line, but that's another story). Everything seems to work fine, except for sorting
the pages by ascending width or height. Any time I select anything other than normal
order, I get an infinite loop. Scan Tailor takes up 99% of the CPU and its GUI becomes
unresponsive. What can I do to help track down the problem?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Scan Tailor infinite loop

Post by Tulon »

That's a known problem, but it's hard to debug because it's unreproducible in debugging builds. I suspect it's the fault of either gcc or boost. The same code works fine on Windows (different compiler, different version of boost) and on MacOS X (different version of GCC and different version of boost).
Which versions of gcc and boost you've got?

By the next release I'll come up with some workaround anyway. The next release is quite some time away though.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
jeffr

Post by jeffr »

I'd be quite happy to try to help you debug it.

I've got gcc 4.4.4 20100630 (Red Hat 4.4.4-10) according to gcc --version, and
boost 1.41.0 according to rpm -q -i boost.i686

Let me know if there is anything you would like me to try.
jeffr

Post by jeffr »

By the way, I posted on sourceforge.net about the build problem I had
with fedora 13.