UI Improvements

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

ibr4him

UI Improvements

Post by ibr4him »

Hi,

I understand Tulon isn't taking any more feature requests, but still, I'll go ahead and suggest some minor UI improvements that might prove to be a huge time saver.

• In 'Split Pages' section, allow click to move page split guides instead of dragging them with mouse; saves a couple seconds per page.
• In 'Select Content' section, allow 'Snap to' feature. So when 'Snap to' is enabled, the area you select almost seems magnetic; This is enormously useful for accurate selection of page content.
• Undo / Redo last action. Nice to have, but not as important as the other two.

These suggestions are based on my practical experience using ST for atleast 8hrs daily now since last 2 weeks. :)

Many thanks!
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: UI Improvements

Post by Tulon »

ibr4him wrote:I understand Tulon isn't taking any more feature requests, but still, I'll go ahead and suggest some minor UI improvements that might prove to be a huge time saver.
Better don't. By going ahead and requesting features, you leave me two choices, both of which I don't like:
1. Be impolite and not respond.
2. Waste half an hour composing a well reasoned reply.

You may think you are writing this hoping for other developers to jump in and implement these features, but let's not kid ourselves - that's just not going to happen. To a developer, your feature requests sound like "It would be great if you spend a few months working for me for free."
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

It might happen. Scan Tailor is an extremely useful application, and the source code is available. With 100 downloads a day (!) a lot of people with coding ability are being exposed to it. I still intend (standard "road to hell" disclaimer) to try out some UI changes which I hope will streamline my own work flow, and I'm sure I'm not the only developer with such goals.

The "click to split page" sounds like a good idea, and probably pretty simple to implement. The current implementation allows you to drag the line while maintaining the existing slope, or change the slope by dragging the endpoints. Snapping the line to the cursor when the mouse is clicked while maintaining the existing slope would save a little time. Allowing one to click, then drag to rotate the line around the initial click point before releasing, could save more. One would still have the option of dragging the endpoints, but clicking in the "middle" of the line would behave differently.

I don't understand the "snap to" request in content selection. My own goals in content selection are to add both an "apply to" option to propagate a selection to other pages, and the ability to drag a selection box as a whole rather being limited to dragging edges or corners. But maybe if I understood what you were proposing, I'd realize that you have a better idea.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

I don't understand the "snap to" request in content selection. My own goals in content selection are to add both an "apply to" option to propagate a selection to other pages, and the ability to drag a selection box as a whole rather being limited to dragging edges or corners. But maybe if I understood what you were proposing, I'd realize that you have a better idea.
Hmm...hard to explain, I didn't find any videos on Youtube either. Haven't you used the 'Snap To (Grid)' feature in Photoshop?

Yes, dragging a selection box would be great too.

When are you planning to implementing these? :p
kasslloyd

Post by kasslloyd »

The feature in photoshop that would be most useful would be the magic wand, where clicking it will select intelligently everything similar, also being able to draw ellipses and rectangles instead of just a polygon tool. I'd imagine implementing a magic wand kinda tool for the mask editing would be quite difficult but drawing circles and squares shouldn't be THAT hard, more work yes....

Also no reason to be rude when people make suggestions... *sigh* :?
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

Why would you need to draw the circles and squares?
kasslloyd

Post by kasslloyd »

Two clicks to enclose something instead of 3,4,5+ to draw a polygon around it...

If it misses a square object, draw a square around it, it misses a round object draw a circle...

More efficient. Anything to shave more time off of fixing automask mistakes. For example the Animal Physiology textbook I'm working on now... about 90% of the pages has some sort of diagram on it, and ST fails to select it properly about 99.9% of the time...