Problem with Auto Picture Zones in Mixed

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

jimboh

Problem with Auto Picture Zones in Mixed

Post by jimboh »

0.9.9.2, compiled myself for Mac OS X 10.6.5 using instructions on sourceforge web site

[Edit: same problem up to present]

I am having problems with chess board diagrams. Sometimes the entire board diagram is turned into a picture zone (correctly), but other times only some individual dark squares, but not the entire board, are turned into picture zones. See the following screen capture for a perfect example:

http://screencast.com/t/LTcJqxAf8

The source tif file is attached.

This is a big problem when you consider that a chess book may have a thousand, or more, such diagrams.

Someone mentioned the use of a "checkerboard" overlay of some kind to assist in dewarping. Not sure what the implications are for picture zones covering an actual chess or checker board.

It would be nice if manual intervention to put a picture zone around one chess board diagram told the program, in essence, "treat complex images like this as single images for picture zone purposes," so that one could make the changes apply to all following pages with "complex images like this." No idea how to code that, however.
Attachments
214.tif
Last edited by jimboh on 12 Aug 2011, 00:26, edited 2 times in total.
jimboh

Re: Problem with Auto Picture Zones in Mixed

Post by jimboh »

Any progress on this in the Plus branch? (My arm is killing me again after scanning another chess book and needing to put manual picture zones around ≈ 800 squares.)

The problem may be the small white space between the external square box and the adjacent internal dark squares. The automatic selection of picture zones works better with diagrams where those internal dark squares touch the external square box.

Maybe a setting to specify minimum picture zone size, so that automatic selection "ignores" the small internal squares but uses the external square box instead? Perhaps this could be done with a series of buttons, like the despeckling sensitivity buttons with the standard Apply To options?

Or a setting to specify square/rectangular picture zones only, with the standard Apply To options?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

jimboh wrote:Any progress on this in the Plus branch? (My arm is killing me again after scanning another chess book and needing to put manual picture zones around ≈ 800 squares.)
I am not really following the Plus branch, and the guy behind it doesn't speak English, so I guess the only way to find out it to try it.
jimboh wrote:Maybe a setting to specify minimum picture zone size, so that automatic selection "ignores" the small internal squares but uses the external square box instead? Perhaps this could be done with a series of buttons, like the despeckling sensitivity buttons with the standard Apply To options?

Or a setting to specify square/rectangular picture zones only, with the standard Apply To options?
I don't want to introduce that kind of complexity. Besides, lately I don't feel like working on ST at all.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
jimboh

Post by jimboh »

Tulon wrote:
jimboh wrote:Any progress on this in the Plus branch? ...
I am not really following the Plus branch, and the guy behind it doesn't speak English, so I guess the only way to find out it to try it.
Where would I find it?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

jimboh wrote:Where would I find it?
New releases get posted on this Russian forum: http://ns2.ru-board.com/topic.cgi?forum ... start=1040
Look for links in DikBSD's posts.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.