Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Scan Tailor Automatic Select Content question

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.
rwreed

Scan Tailor Automatic Select Content question

Post by rwreed » 06 Mar 2011, 22:50

Hi All,

I love scan tailor and use it regularly. But one of the things I find with the automatic select content is that it tries to hard to get it exactly right which often leads to letter that are only partially included. I wondered if there is some setting that would allow there to have the box expand by a few pixels. I think with a 10 pixel margin it would probably catch everything every time. Is this possible?

Thanks
Randy

spamsickle

Re: Scan Tailor Automatic Select Content question

Post by spamsickle » 07 Mar 2011, 03:36

I think it would be an enhancement request. I haven't noticed the problem you're describing myself; my problems with the automatic selection were always bigger than partial letters in both directions. Is it possible that your problems are lighting related? Could you post an example of a page which shows the problem?

eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR » 07 Mar 2011, 03:59

I have experienced this behaviour too. And I have already posted a suggestion about a "feather" option for select content where the user could specify a number of desired pixels to skip from selection borders.

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon » 07 Mar 2011, 05:01

Before looking for a solution I have to understand the problem. Therefore I need a sample page where it's happening.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.

eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR » 08 Mar 2011, 04:15

It's hard to explain: When the outline of text is not a dark colour, ST tends to treat that color as white and thus, the content line overlays some outlines. I will send you a page when I can. This can be viewed using zoom for clarification.

Here is a test page and the zoomed bottom section from page 24

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tulon

Post by Tulon » 08 Mar 2011, 04:43

That's not a problem - it will be fine in the output.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.

eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR » 08 Mar 2011, 08:55

Yes. It's not big deal but what about antialiased lines?. It is "eating" some lines. Maybe you are right and it's not noticeable.

Tulon

Post by Tulon » 08 Mar 2011, 09:01

If it's visible in the output, post an example here.

eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR » 08 Mar 2011, 16:42

Okay. I will do it if I notice something weird. Thanks.

eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR » 25 Mar 2011, 05:04

Good day.

Here are two samples where Select Content fails. I am using ST 1.0 ß10 under Windows 7 (32 bits).

On page 23, right side, where it says "mejor" -> better. It clips the dot above the j letter.

On page 34, right side, it clips the top portion of the CD drawing.

Best regards.