Beta 11

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Beta 11

Post by Tulon »

Here is the latest build: http://depositfiles.com/files/co7oanv9c
It's mostly work in progress on dewarping, though there were a few unrelated fixes.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
seasalt

Re: Beta 11

Post by seasalt »

hello thankyou for your great work
- is this build for mac too? I grabbed the dmg from the 4shared link posted on this site - I am new to scantailor
thx
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Thank you Tulon.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

seasalt wrote:is this build for mac too?
No. Someone else would have to make a Mac build.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Beta 11 gives really nice outputs on my Windows system. I ran it on a batch of 100 pages. The index pages and one or two similar pages had text distorted into a cone shape (i.e. looks kind of like the Star Wars intro). It looked like on screencaps that others have posted from earlier betas here on the forum previously (sorry, no logs/screencaps). But the rest of the output is really good.

Here's an idea for a speed boost that works around the single CPU core issue. I haven't tried it yet but think it will work. Can anyone see any drawbacks with this? The manual steps are pretty quick to work through.

1. Install as many copies of ScanTailor as you have CPU cores.
2. Load all images into one instance of ScanTailor. Do all the regular ST steps except the last one.
3. now save the project and make copies.
4. open each copy in a separate instance of ScanTailor. Remove pages until each instance has a portion of the pages.
5. Start processing of the last step (including dewarping) in all ScanTailor instances at the same time.
lorenzodow

Post by lorenzodow »

Tulon wrote: It's mostly work in progress on dewarping
Seems to be progressing nicely. On a longer project with some badly warped pages, the output is impressive. A few pages get distorted (pages that actually weren't too warped), but some of the most warped pages are fixed without any problems.
Attachments
dewarping issue
dewarping issue
dewarping.PNG (433.71 KiB) Viewed 10700 times
lorenzodow

Post by lorenzodow »

A block quote on the second half of the page created a problem here.

By the way, I'm new to the forum, so if this screenshots are not helpful or if this type of thing has been rehashed elsewhere, let me know...
Attachments
block quotations
block quotations
Capture.GIF (286.2 KiB) Viewed 10700 times
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Obviously there will always be pages that can't be dewarped automatically. Fortunately, you still have the manual mode.
BTW, I'd like to get the original shot of your latest example - there might be some hope for it.
Misty

Post by Misty »

Tulon wrote:No. Someone else would have to make a Mac build.
Tulon, are you able to advise as to the best way to package up a build for distribution? I'd be able to make a Mac build.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
lorenzodow

Post by lorenzodow »