White Margins

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Rhea27

White Margins

Post by Rhea27 »

In Scan Tailor, I've been using the output color/grayscale with white margins (my images are pages of photo albums and scrapbooks). And then I see that I can remove the layer of white in Gimp...I like this because then when I convert the images to pdf, there is only a very small white bleed around the edges and this suites my purpose best. However, this is VERY tedious...Is there an easier way? Or any advise on what I can use and how I can remove the back (white) layer in batch processing instead of one at a time? Thank you!
spamsickle

Re: White Margins

Post by spamsickle »

Why not just set the margins to zero when you're processing the images in Scan Tailor?
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

Or you could use the Mixed output mode instead of Color / Grayscale.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Rhea27

Post by Rhea27 »

I tried the zero margins...can you look at the attached (first few pages of the book)? The cover of my book is larger than the other pages, and the zero margin looks great for this page - has very little white around it. But the images on the other pages are smaller and there is more white border. I selected zero margins for all pages. I wish my smaller images would enlarge to fill most of the page...but I guess that would distort my images. I haven't tried making the select content of the larger pages smaller so that they will be closer to the same size...

I don't really understand mixed mode...haven't been able to figure it out yet, except I figured out how to do a little with fill zones. Wish there were a tutorial or video so I wouldn't feel so dumb!
Attachments
dad navy 5-18 zero margins.pdf
(3.03 MiB) Downloaded 719 times
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Rhea27 wrote:zero margin looks great for this page - has very little white around it. But the images on the other pages are smaller and there is more white border.
Uncheck "Match size with other pages" on the Margins stage.
Rhea27 wrote:I don't really understand mixed mode...
Never mind - it's not meant for dark background like yours.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Rhea27

Post by Rhea27 »

That helps...thanks Tulon.
feliks
Number of books owned: 150

Post by feliks »

I'm not certain if this was addressed elsewhere, re: margins. Please excuse me if this is the same question as posted previously.

Situation:

I have an old book that I recently scanned by hand. I then:

1. Split the pages:

2. Select the content:

3. Set the margins:

4. And then verify my output (thumbnail image):

As you can see in the output, the size of the page is all wrong--too much white, as has been discussed here and elsewhere. I've tried to uncheck "match size with other pages," but then I get all sorts of oddly sized outputs. I've tried making my first page the "right" size, but I can't get others to match to it. I have both the latest vanilla ST as well as the ST: Enhanced version.

Any tips?

Thanks!

-Feliks
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

If it's only the first (cover?) page causing others to grow, just uncheck "Match size with other pages" for it (not for others).
feliks
Number of books owned: 150

Post by feliks »

First off, thanks for being amazing and helping out all the time.

So, the issue persists. I've adjusted the content of my first page so that with margins, it is the "ideal" page. However, even unchecked, the rest of the pages grow. Is there a way to make the other pages "follow" the first page's size?

01. My margin setup:

02. The output, "grown pages," result:

Suggestions? It's probably something easy/obvious, but I'm missing it.

Cheers!

-Feliks
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

This means some of your pages have wrong DPI. Hopefully there are just a few of those, otherwise it's going to be a pain fixing them.
So, the way to locate those pages is to sort by increasing width or height (see a drop-down list at bottom right), then start removing pages from the back of the list, until margins of other pages normalize. Then you would re-insert the pages you removed one by one, with correct DPI.