Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Am I doing ST 'select content' incor? If not feature request

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.
o3h1p

Am I doing ST 'select content' incor? If not feature request

Post by o3h1p » 21 May 2011, 16:22

I don't have one of the best setups, and I am scanning giant books. The problem is the book moves around a lot and because of special formatting features or my exposure the 'select content' doesn't work the best automatically. So I have to fix the select content region.

The problem is I start from page one moving along correcting pages. But I tend to make the same changes to the region for most of the subsequent pages in the book until a major shift in the camera or the book occurs when I now have a different change. The problem is that ST doesn't have a "apply to.. (every other) subsequent pages" option. You can fix the region and apply to "every other page" but this would ruin the pages you already fixed. It has a "every other selected page" But this envolves me going to the very end of the book clicking, holding down shift and returning to the page I just modified in order to apply to the subsequent pages.

Now I could sort by a different order like increasing width/height, but since the pages move only slightly and the book/cameras shift only slightly, I would figure that 'natural order' would be the best order to fix these regions in. Am I missing something about how to do this properly. If not, I would like to request a "apply to.. all (or every other) subsequent pages"

Edit:
The only solution I can see: I could treat the left and right pages seperatelly and use the "this and the following ones" options. The only problem I've had is that the left and right batches pick a differnt maximum/minimum size so that when you combine it in a pdf and scroll in continuous view you see pages of different sizes. I could use photoshop and batch convert to the larger size. So maybe this is the only option.

o3h1p

Re: Am I doing ST 'select content' incor? If not feature req

Post by o3h1p » 21 May 2011, 16:52

So one solution seems to be to run a selection from your page to the end of the book using the shift key. THEN if you click with the CTRL key it removes it from the selection. This allows you to work on on the remaining pages.

If there is a better way of doing this please let me know.

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Am I doing ST 'select content' incor? If not feature req

Post by Tulon » 21 May 2011, 16:53

I don't have anything against this feature, and it shouldn't be hard to implement, but for the foreseeable future I will only be working on dewarping. Try asking on the developer mailing list - maybe Masahiro or Petr will be willing to implement it.

Also, it might be a good idea to upload a sample page here. Sometimes problems with automatic content box selection can be easily solved.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.