Book Scan Wizard

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Re: Book Scan Wizard

Post by steve1066d »

Have you tried the alternate link from from the launch page?
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Windows vista.

I went to the java website and it told me to uninstall an older version that I still had installed (version 6, update 7 I think). I did that I tried running it again and still no luck.
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Just tried both links again on the webstart page. Both still don't work.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Try this:

Go to the system control panel, java control panel, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings, Delete Files..., OK.

Then try again.

Also, what operating system are you using? (XP, Linux, Mac...)
What browser are you using?

Finally, are you using a proxy server? (Not common for a home PC, but common in business settings).
Steve Devore
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

That did the trick. I appreciate the help. Cheers.
umpausewhat

Post by umpausewhat »

Thanks again for your earlier help. I just have one more question. Is there a relatively straightforward way that Book Scan Wizard could be modified to save images as jpegs rather than tiffs? Because I'm not compressing the files so that I can run them through Scan Tailor after the barrel distortion is corrected in BSW, the image sizes are roughly 25 megs each in the tiff format. I know I could invest in another program to batch convert all the tiffs to jpegs, but it would be great if I could cut out an extra step. Scan Tailor just works a lot quicker on jpegs.

I hope that doesn't sound nit-picky. steve1066d, you've done us all a great service with the program. Thanks again.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Sure.. Its a feature that I can add... actually I was thinking about changing things a bit so you can use png, tiff, jpg, or jp2.

I'm surprised that Scan Tailor is that much slower dealing with uncompressed tiffs. What output DPI are you choosing?
Steve Devore
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

Feature request...

I've done a number of projects, and at least for me, two items would be really nice.

1) A tool to create equal size crop for each "side"
2) Ability to "add" back in a specific margin for close crops.

When the output tiffs aren't the same proportions, it's a pain. Perhaps there's some other way, other than using the drawing tool to mark and crop each page, but it's hard to make them the same size. [Suggestions welcome.]

Related is the second item. On some very small margin books, the crop is quite close. Adding in a little white-space would be nice - and if BSW did it that would be even nicer.

-Greg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

1) A tool to create equal size crop for each "side"
That is sort of there now. There's a couple ways of doing it, but I think the easiest way is to uncheck the Crops checkbox. then create the first crop, go to the next page, then drag the crop selection where you want it and save it.

You can also copy the coordinates from the configuration to the clipboard, and choose "copy coordinates". Then select on the viewer and paste it. Then move the crop window where you want it, then save that crop.

Take a look at the wiki page.. it talks about this:

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... le_project
2) Ability to "add" back in a specific margin for close crops.
I agree. That one is actually one I've thought about adding. I put it on my list so I won't forget about it.
Steve Devore
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

Ah, I see - yes it does work. I'll try that.

What exactly is the function of the "check-boxes" for crop, perspective and Filters do?
[I'm just not sure why un-checking the "crops" box lets me move it on the second page...]

Thanks though. That helps.

Thanks for adding the "margins" to the list.

-Greg