Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Re: Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Post by steve1066d »

Gsloop,

You know.. what you are saying does actually make sense, if you are using the 14 MP camera for the left one, and you are running both at full resolution, I'd certainly expect that the left side would be a bit slower. and also take up more space in the image tile cache.

As far as the symptom of extremely slow processing, it pretty much exactly matches what I had seen in my development before I upped the cache size. The reason it was going so slow what it was essentially redoing a bunch of stuff over and over because it didn't have a copy in the cache. I think I made a change in the last version that reduced the memory requirements, which is probably why you are having better luck with this version.

In any case, it does seem like this is due to your higher end camera, as it is about double the megapixels of the cameras I tested with.

I'll go ahead and add an option to change the cache size, so if you run into the problem in the future, you can play with that setting.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

Hey - I could/should look this up in your docs, but do you have a way to handle re-interpreting the images to be equal size. :)

Was just hauling in my images to OCR and trying to use a uniform field for OCR and guess what [perhaps I have been huffing glue] the images are *surprise, surprise* different sizes. [ (sarcasm) Dang, how did that happen when I used different MPix cameras! Who'd have thunk it. (/sarcasm)]

I may be able to use a setting that give me very nearly 10 MP on the 14MP camera, I guess I will see. If not, any suggestions? [Probably best to do it in camera I suppose - I expect it will save a lot of processing time not having to re-interpolate things...]

Comments welcome!

[Later]
Ah, well. Just went and checked. I get 14MP, or 7MP or 2MP - so much for that idea.

So back to the "what's the easiest way to interpolate?" question

-Greg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Gsloop,

Actually BSW has some simple ways of handling different resolution images. The key is to have a valid source DPI.

If you know the DPI's of your original images, then you can define them separately:

Code: Select all

Pages = left
SetSourceDPI = 400

Pages = right
SetSourceDPI = 550

# Rescale the image to match the final DPI
ScaleToDPI= 300

Your varous Perpsective & crop commands 
The ScaleToDPI operation rescale your images to 300 DPI.

If you don't know the source DPI's there's a few of ways BSW can determine it:
1. If you use the Barcode option, it calculates and sets the DPI along with the perspective operation.
2. By using the optional arguments to the Perspective operation. The perspective takes an optional width and height in inches that will be used to calculate the source DPI. To use it, just take a ruler to the book and measure the width and height of the area you are using to correct for perspective.
3. By using the focal length of the camera to interpolate the DPI. This really won't solve your issue, as it is more for adjusting for zoom values, and it assumes that the camera is in the same spot, and only the zoom level changes. For you to use it you'd need to calibrate each camera separately.
Steve Devore
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

I've seen that, but how does it work?

I've printed out some of the bar-codes, but will it calc DPI from ANY of those barcode?

I'd be glad to help handle some documentation if I could too - that would be helpful perhaps.

-Greg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

No.. right now it will only calculate the DPI form the "Perspective Correction" one. Its a 4 barcode page.

Though, its on my list to make a barcode card, as a single barcode has enough info to calculate the DPI.

If you want to help with the documentation it would be great. I'm kind of at a loss when it comes to documenting things, since it seems clear enough to me.. but then again, I wrote it :)

I've got the wiki on the sourceforge site, and you are welcome to put whatever you think is helpful there. Or post here, and I'll take care of adding the the stuff to the wiki.

The barcodes are pretty new, and I don't have a lot of documentation yet. You might want to look at these two posts:
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... t=50#p8404
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=839
Last edited by steve1066d on 05 Feb 2011, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Devore
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

Cool, you're awsome!

I'll see what I can do about docs. Perhaps a "simple" man page would be a good start!

Ha, the inverse of a helpful how-to: the man page!

[I remember trying to do some crazy things with find - the man page is a freeking book - I must have spent 2-3 hours trying stuff - and nothing worked. I eventually gave up and found a way to do it in a two-step method that did most of what I wanted. I've always wondered if the super-foo it took to write a man page was the foo of hating to write more than the most minimal explanation possible - and minimal seems like such an inadequate word to describe the density of most man pages. :) ]

-Greg
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

Ok, syntax

I was going to edit the Wiki, but I need either Editor or Owner rights...

Let's start here:

LoadLRImages= <ignore_times> source
[Items in <> are optional.]
Source is the path to the source images. In windows that will look something like C:\Foo\Bar\Foo-Bar\

[Wasn't sure how to delimit the arguments, but with some trial and error I figured it out.]

---
Next, I have the keystone correction barcodes scanned at the front of all scans, but not sure how to make those "take"

How to I get BSW to take advantage of them?

-Greg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I think all you have to do is to be logged into a sourceforge account to make an edit. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll add you as a member.

To use barcodes, you first have to scan them. This is done by running BSW from the command line.

cd to the directory you want to scan , then run bsw -barcodes. That will scan the barcode directory and create a barcodes.csv file that the interactive portion uses. You'll have to run that in both the left & right page directories if you have them separated.

Otherwise, you can run follow this process where it will scan the barcodes, and split scans into multiple books:
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=839

If you are using the webstart version, and you haven't found it yet, you can set up the command line version by running "Tools, create launch script" from the menu.

I've been thinking about adding an option to do that step from within the gui portion of the application, but scanning the barcodes does take a while to run, so it is best to scan them ahead of time. Though I probably will add it for those people who don't like messing with scripts and command lines.

Once you have the barcodes scanned, use this command in your config to read them:
Barcodes =

If you want modify the commands it has generated, or if you simply want to see what it created, you can right click that Barcodes line and choose the option to expand the barcode config.
Steve Devore
gsloop

Post by gsloop »

No, I can't edit, even when logged in.

Here's what I see...
"You do not have permission to edit this page, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: editor, admin.

You can view and copy the source of this page: "

I don't have to have edit privs, but it would be easier for me to contribute that way. [No promises on how much I will, but I'll try...]
Time, you know, it always in short supply... :)

-Greg
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

You can view and copy the source of this page: "

I don't have to have edit privs, but it would be easier for me to contribute that way. [No promises on how much I will, but I'll try...]
Time, you know, it always in short supply... :)
Ok.. I added you as a member to the group... Give it another try. (I'm assuming that your name there is also gsloop).
Steve Devore