Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Post by steve1066d »

I've got a second beta of Book Scan wizard.
bsw001.png
bsw001.png (322.93 KiB) Viewed 11881 times
I've improved the documentation and most things have tooltips if you hover over them, and right clicking give you useful things too.

The easiest way to download is is by using Java web start. It will complain a bit that the signature can't be verified. That is normal, so just press "Run" to start.
http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net/run

Or if you want to manually install it you can go here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bookscanwizard/

Also, you'll want to check the wiki for the documentation. In particular, this page walks through good example:
https://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ ... le_project

If you have installed the earlier beta, first uninstall the old one.

Let me know if its useful or if anything seems too confusing.

Steve
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
Anonymous1

Re: Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Post by Anonymous1 »

I think I'll try this one again. I had a bit of trouble with the first one, but good job. It did manage to crop my scans well!
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I'm here if you have any questions.

Let me know if you find anything that is confusing or isn't working right.

Steve
Steve Devore
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I've got another beta of BSW.

Webstart version:
http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net/run

Manual installation version:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bookscanwizard/

For this one I added a wizard that will help with get you started with the basic settings. So if you tried before and were staring at the blank workspace not sure of what was needed get started, it should be easier now:
wizard.png
wizard.png (49.03 KiB) Viewed 11793 times
I also took Rob's way's of using QR codes to do the initial dekeystoning and rotation, and added that to BSW.
It didn't seem to align things as good as doing it manually, but its an option if people want to use it. One option I added was the ability to use the QR codes for only the first page of set, so that it doesn't have to examine each page if you only have the two barcodes at the beginning of the book. If you have barcodes throughout the text, it works in that situation too.

There is sometimes problems starting with Web Start, and it is pretty much beyond my control to do anything about it. If the application starts to load and then disappears, take a look in your list of programs for "Book Scan Wizard", and try starting it from there. It seems to mainly be a problem if you are loading for the first time or if there was an update. If all else fails there's the manual installation.

Finally, I'd really appreciate some feedback... I've only gotten comments by a couple of people, but I've implemented most of their suggestions. If you find this useful I'd like to know. Or if you can't make heads or tails of it, I'd like to hear about that too :)

Steve
Steve Devore
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I just added a new feature: You can rename pages. While it isn't very important for the end result as the pages normally get combined in a pdf or other document, it is helpful to validate that all the pages are scanned, or if you are defining actions for only certain pages in the book.

It supports multiple sequences. For example, if the book starts with an preface you could do the following:

a### 1 26 b###

The above would name the first 26 pages a001 - a026, then the remaining pages b001 - b...

It even supports roman numerals, so you could do something like: a#### i xvi b###

http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net/
Steve Devore
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Man, this is looking great. I need to rebuild a standard-style scanner for myself because it really looks like this is the software I wanted all along. All my scanners are currently out in the world somewhere. :/ I got excited about lasers and forgot about scanner frames for a while.

Sorry you're not getting much feedback -- sometimes it takes time, but with how responsive you are, and how perfectly suited this app seems to those members who've done a build, I suspect you're going to find wide adoption. I'm going to update the front page of the site with a link to your software right along the ST link, and I'll do another blog post on it ASAP. I'll also mention it at my upcoming talk in Feb at the Internet Archive (to be announced shortly).
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

It would be more useful to me if I could pick a range of pictures, especially for the cropping step. JPEGcrops allows this, in a way -- it shows the selection on each of the thumbnails, and you can drag the selection box while maintaining the same dimensions.

As I'm scanning, sometimes the book will move. It would be good if the application allowed for that. Ideally, I'd crop the first image, and this would automatically be applied to the subsequent images. If things changed at image 75, I could set the cropping parameters at image 75 and again they'd apply to all subsequent images, while images 1-74 would remain as they were. If it moved again at image 175, specify a new crop, etc. Each time I specify something new, it will apply to subsequent images, while leaving previous images alone. This would be useful if a light went dim and I didn't notice while shooting, etc. The intention when scanning is to keep everything the same, but if the software can compensate when mistakes happen, it would be helpful.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Here's how you an do it right now:

Code: Select all

Pages = left 001-100
Crop = 10,10, 1000,1000

Pages = left 101-200
Crop = 10,20, 1000,1010
The Pages command tells the sytem that the following operations should only be done on a subset of pages (until another Pages command comes along).

There's even an option if the pages gradually move and you want to interpolate from one point to the other:

InterpolateCrop = page001 2946, 570, 3915, 1316, page250  2997, 2109, 3750, 2653
To move the selection, hold down the shift key, drag the selection box, then right click, and choose Crop, which will create a new crop command.
Steve Devore
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

I'm sorry, I actually knew that. I tried the program a week or so ago, and forgot exactly what my problem had been.

You have a Page command which will take a range, or individual comma-separated pages, or a L/R generic.

What I wanted to do was combine the range with the L/R generic, and that's what I didn't see a way to do.

It may be that I shouldn't combine the L and R images first, and for future examples I can work that way, but in this case I was going back to images I'd saved from almost a year ago, and they're already merged. I don't think I've culled blank pages out, so probably splitting them apart again would be trivial, but if I had both merged L/R pages and removed blank pages, splitting them into L/R again would be a chore.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

I guess it isn't real clear from the documentation, but it can be done with the following:

# Only apply the following to the left pages in the range 001-100
Pages = left 001-100
That will apply the operations to 001,003,005, ... 099.

Basically if you have both the left or right indicator and a range or list of pages, the page has to match both settings.

The intent is to run the app with merged pages (or let the app merge the pages itself with the LoadLRImages operation), though either way will work.

Right now the application does expect that there are no missing pages.., so if there's the potential for using sets that have the blanks pages culled from them, I could add the option to define the left & right pages based off if the page number is even or odd, if that would be helpful.
Steve Devore