Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.
spamsickle

Re: Book Scan Wizard beta is available

Post by spamsickle » 18 Jan 2011, 18:22

Hmmm, I thought I tried something like that, and got an "invalid page" message, but I suppose there are any number of ways I might have screwed it up.

I'll give this another try in the next couple of days, and let you know. Sounds like what I wanted, so "thumbs up" for now!

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 21 Jan 2011, 18:23

Okay, I just shot a new book today, and it should be a good fit for this application -- the book didn't move noticeably from one shot to the next.

I have the pages split into "L" and "R" directories, and specify (via the wizard) the root directory for the source.

The first thing I notice is that the first image in the "R" directory (the front cover of the book) is not recognized. The file should be IMG_6840.jpg in the R directory, but it's not showing up in Book Scan's list.

The second thing I notice is that the second image in the R directory (IMG_6841.jpg) is duplicated 93 times:
ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 21 14.03.jpg
ScreenHunter_01 Jan. 21 14.03.jpg (142.41 KiB) Viewed 5245 times
Then I get the first image from the L directory (also named IMG_6841.jpg) followed by 4 copies of the 3rd image in R (IMG_6842.jpg).

After that, the images start alternating properly between L and R in the list, but the image that's actually displayed doesn't seem to be the image that's selected.

There are several other problems ("R" pages don't rotate, preview and crop doesn't show a cropped image, etc.) but it's my experience that this kind of Java flakiness is usually some underlying problem. The "about" says I'm executing 0.9.5.a, and it's the webstart version.

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Post by steve1066d » 21 Jan 2011, 18:43

One thing is that the default behavior is to use the timestamps to provide the hints to match the left & right pages, but if you have already done some preprocessing, or if you took all the left pages, then all the right pages, then the default behavior won't work.

Try using the ignore_times option, which will just go from one page to the other and not assume the pictures were taken at the same time.

So it become:

Code: Select all

LoadLRImages = ignore_times E:\Books\The....
Give that a try and see if it works better.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.

steve1066d

Post by steve1066d » 21 Jan 2011, 18:56

Also, it doesn't seem to be working right even if you did have timestamp issues..

Could you go to the dos prompt, then

Code: Select all

cd e:\books\The E...
dir /s >files.txt
That will create a file called files.txt that has a list of your files and send that to me? That will help me reproduce the problem.

Steve
Steve Devore

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 21 Jan 2011, 20:35

I didn't do any pre-processing, but my camera times aren't synchronized, and one of the cameras is running about ten minutes behind the other one. Because of that, and because that might work out to about 93 shots for one directory before the "first" shot in the other directory, I thought I'd give your suggestion a try. This is what I got:
ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 21 16.27.jpg
ScreenHunter_02 Jan. 21 16.27.jpg (100.27 KiB) Viewed 5236 times
I got the same result without the quotes around the book directory; thought probably the spaces were confusing things, but apparently the quotes don't help.

Look for files.txt in your inbox.

steve1066d

Post by steve1066d » 21 Jan 2011, 21:52

I did have a bug that was causing the ignore_times to not work. I did a quick fix and uploaded a new web start version to address the issue.

But why it wasn't working for you is going to take a bit more digging.. It shouldn't have mattered that the cameras had different times.. when it is working, the software compensates for that... I'll do some more digging.

Though in any case, it looks like you have the same number of left as right images, so the ignore_times option should work fine for you.
Steve Devore

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 21 Jan 2011, 22:07

Okay, now the images are loading up all right, but the "Left" images are being reversed instead of being rotated. I have to run; I'll have more details in a couple of hours...

steve1066d

Post by steve1066d » 21 Jan 2011, 22:25

There was an issue if the right camera time was before the left camera time.. I guess my cameras are opposite so it works for me :)

I did another update, so it should work with or without the ignore_times. If you are keeping track the version is 0.9.5c :)

Is your "left" image the left side of the book or the left camera? I'm using "left" to mean the left side of the book (right camera).

Play around with the rotation.. try changing it from -90 to 90.
Steve Devore

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 21 Jan 2011, 22:52

I'm using "left" for the left side of the book (right camera).

90 or -90 doesn't fix it. Here's what I'm seeing:
ScreenHunter_03 Jan. 21 18.34.jpg
Zooming in, here's what's happening to the page:
ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 21 18.35.jpg
ScreenHunter_04 Jan. 21 18.35.jpg (140.02 KiB) Viewed 5228 times
Ah, apparently this is an artifact of the "perspective and crop" I generated while things were confused. I deleted that, saw the correct rotation, generated new L and R crops, and am seeing good previews. Just tried "submit" to see what kind of crops are generated. Seems to be working well so far. I'll take a look at some of the other options, but I suspect just feeding the perspective and crop into Scan Tailor will be about all I want to do.

Oh, I guess I still have to try that "left + range" stuff; where's that book I was processing before...

matt

Post by matt » 22 Jan 2011, 06:23

Wow, Steve, the new version looks great!

I had a few comments/observations:

* the File selection dialog on Mac OSX allows navigation to a directory but does not seem to allow file selections to actually be made (there's no place to type the filename and the Save button stays greyed out)

* in general it's not always obvious when BSW is working -- maybe a progress bar or activity spinner?

* maybe add page name where perspective adjustment settings taken as a comment? eg when using the GUI to select coordinates for cropping on page 382, it'd prepopulate the script with something like

Crop = 268,2010, 1711,4627 # BSW_0382

I wasn't clear on the syntax for your PostCommand and Pipe commands. How would I run each file through ImageMagick's convert command (to sharpen the output)? Are you using ImageMagick on the back-end? If so, would you consider adding a built-in command to facilitate sharpening?

Thanks again for all the awesome work with this!