Issue: documentation for AutoLevels command

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Issue: documentation for AutoLevels command

Post by rob »

The documentation in the command helper for AutoLevels says:

"It is better to choose the auto levels option from the right click menu in the viewer as this command will perform the autolevel on each page, which will make the pages inconsistent."

However, when I do so, I get a Levels command inserted which applies to the entire book. I think you probably want to include a Pages command as well as a Levels command for a right-clicked Auto Levels.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Re: Issue: documentation for AutoLevels command

Post by steve1066d »

I'm not quite following you. The autolevels from the viewer, is supposed to work on the entire book (or you could add a Pages operation yourself to make it work on a subset). I've found it works best to do it this way because blank pages or very dark pages can give autolevels command bad results.

The autolevels command will treat each page individually and do an "autolevels" on it.

Perhaps I'm not understanding how you wish to use the feature.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Well, when I right-click the page in the viewer and select AutoLevels, I get a line:

Levels = x,y

However, I placed the cursor just below this line:

Pages = all

So naturally the Levels command applies to all pages, which isn't desired because of the reasons you state. However, the instructions for AutoLevels in Tools hints that if you right-click a page in the viewer, the Levels command generated will apply only to that page, because "this command will perform the autolevel on each page" (emphasis mine).

The expected behavior would be that if you right-click on the page in the viewer and select AutoLevels, you will get a line that only applies to that one page. In other words, I think the behavior when you right-click on a page in the viewer is to add two lines, the first being a Pages command which selects just that one page, and the next being the Levels command.

I hope that makes sense.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Post by steve1066d »

I think its actually just a documentation problem.

I've found it works well to use the autolevels version in the viewer, and apply it to all the pages. Because it is making the same change to each page, there isn't the issue about blank or very dark pages, and it consistently changes things from page to page. You just need to run the command on a page that isn't blank.

BSW doesn't really have any command that defaults to working on a single page (besides removing the page).
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.