Loooking for Software for personal digital libraries ...

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

aku
Number of books owned: 0

Loooking for Software for personal digital libraries ...

Post by aku »

... Or other systems for personal document management. (OSS prefered).

So far I only found the older (ca. 2005) UpLib system at http://uplib.parc.com/.
Which has some "interesting" properties, using mainly images for display, even for text.
Python scripted. Reading the intro paper they did see the rise of cheap digital cameras for document aquisition.
Ryan_phx
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle DX

Re: Loooking for Software for personal digital libraries ...

Post by Ryan_phx »

For managing a library of digital texts, most people I know use Calibre. Won't work for music, etc., but for books and documents, it's quite good.
aku

Post by aku »

Ryan_phx wrote:For managing a library of digital texts, most people I know use Calibre. Won't work for music, etc., but for books and documents, it's quite good.
Thanks, I'll have a look. Although I have to admit that a substantial part of what I wish to manage is my collection of photos, which is outside of books/documents.
strider1551

Post by strider1551 »

Please give us an update if you find something that suites your purposes. I've tried looking a few times, always find some good apps but nothing that ever feels perfect. Right now I just rely on a very strict file structure and a desktop search program if necessary.

Somewhat related, if anyone else needs to organize movie and tv videos, XBMC is incredible.
aku

Post by aku »

strider1551 wrote:Please give us an update if you find something that suites your purposes.
Sure, no problem. Part of the reason why I opened the topic, to collect links to software and papers in this area, as they are found, be it myself, or others.
I've tried looking a few times, always find some good apps but nothing that ever feels perfect. Right now I just rely on a very strict file structure
Similar for me, at least for the PDFs which seem to accumulate over time as I browse the net.
and a desktop search program if necessary.

Somewhat related, if anyone else needs to organize movie and tv videos, XBMC is incredible.