Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Help: problems with ORC using Homer on OS X Lion

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.
vladcampos

Help: problems with ORC using Homer on OS X Lion

Post by vladcampos » 25 Nov 2011, 13:53

Hi,

I'm a OS X Lion user and downloaded and installed Homer to convert my eBooks because I'm not an advanced user and don't really understand the terminal. During the installation I got some error messages but it ended up with the sentence "Homer: Installation successful!". I'm attaching the full Terminal log below.

After installation I've used ScanTailor perfectly and was able to process part of the TIF images using Homer. Homer could generate the HTML ORC files for each TIF image, but not the ORC PDF file. The "out" folder always ends up with the TIF and the HTLM files and the following error messages:

On the file "pdfbeads-log.txt" I found this log: "/usr/local/bin/homer: line 437: pdfbeads: command not found"

On the file "mv-log.txt" O found this log: "mv: rename out.pdf to /Users/'my-user-name'/Desktop/'the-books-name'.pdf: No such file or directory"

And here follows the Homer installation log in the Terminal:
Creating symlinks in /usr/local folder:

Linking /usr/local/Cellar/imagemagick/6.7.1-1... 61 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/jasper/1.900.1... 13 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/jbig2enc/0.27-17b36fa... 3 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/jpeg/8c... 17 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/leptonica/1.68... 209 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/libtiff/3.9.5... 100 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/little-cms/1.19... 19 symlinks created
Linking /usr/local/Cellar/tesseract/3.00... 44 symlinks created

GEM_HOME='/usr/local/Cellar/gems/1.8'
Appending "source ~/.bashrc" to ~/.bash_profile
/Volumes/Homer-v1.0b1-Lion/install.command: line 97: /Users/'my-user-name'/.bash_profile: Permission denied
Appending "$GEM_HOME" path to ~/.bashrc
/Volumes/Homer-v1.0b1-Lion/install.command: line 110: /Users/'my-user-name'/.bashrc: Permission denied
/Volumes/Homer-v1.0b1-Lion/install.command: line 111: /Users/'my-user-name'/.bashrc: No such file or directory

Installing "brewbygems" ruby gem:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
No such file or directory - /Users/'my-user-name'/.gem/ruby/1.8/cache/brewbygems-0.4.0.gem

Installing "pdfbeads" ruby gem:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::ENOENT)
No such file or directory - /Users/'my-user-name'/.gem/ruby/1.8/cache/pdfbeads-1.0.3.gem

Installing "homer" bash script to /usr/local/bin...

Installing "Homer.app" to /Applications folder...
Adding "Homer.app" to the Dock...

Installing "ScanTailor.app" to /Applications folder…
Adding "ScanTailor.app" to the Dock...

Homer: Installation successful!

logout

[Process completed]
Tanks in advance for any help!

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Help: problems with ORC using Homer on OS X Lion

Post by Misty » 01 Dec 2011, 13:10

I haven't heard of Homer before. I haven't seen a discussion on the forum - do you have a link for it?

It looks like it's trying to write to a directory named 'my-user-name' instead of actually putting your username there. Maybe it's a bug in the program? Have you spoken to the author?
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

vladcampos

Re: Help: problems with ORC using Homer on OS X Lion

Post by vladcampos » 10 Dec 2011, 15:31

Hi Misty, thanks for answering.

The 'my-user-name' was a change I did in the original text after pasting it to the forum. I don't want to show my username.

You can find all about Homer here:
http://bookscanner.pbworks.com/w/page/4 ... /FrontPage

Vlad.