Software question

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

lns20
E-book readers owned: 1
Number of books owned: 1000

Software question

Post by lns20 »

Apologies if I've missed this discussion elsewhere, but here's a basic question. What are some software options for controlling the camera via a computer? In a nutshell, I want to be able to see the image on the computer, then take the picture via the computer itself (automated or manual).

Thanks,

Simon
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Software question

Post by snaguy »

What camera's and what operating system?
lns20

Post by lns20 »

Probably something like a Canon T2i/550D. Windows 7.

Is the Canon EOS utility sufficient to do the job? Or should I go for something else?
snaguy

Post by snaguy »

gphoto2 would be my first recommendation but you are using Windows which rules that out.

From a quick look at the Canon EOS utility it may suit your needs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0CX_3tguXI

With VLC you can select open capture device and select you camera and take stills. You can open multiple instances of VLC to view more than one camera. I can not vouch for the quality with this process.

There are other video capture and camera control software available, you will need to do some more google searching and research. Or hopefully someone else has some more to offer on this forum.
snaguy

Post by snaguy »

lns20

Post by lns20 »

Thanks, much appreciated!
dpc

Post by dpc »

This one looks pretty nice: Atiz BookDrive Capture

Don't know how much it costs though. I think they offer a limited demo version.
lns20

Post by lns20 »

Apparently you can't get the software separate from the equipment with Atiz.
Fab52

Post by Fab52 »

Hi,
lns20 wrote:Apparently you can't get the software separate from the equipment with Atiz.
Happy to see that i'm not alone of dreaming about a software like this one see my previous thread on this software:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =24&t=2473

I don't think they sell the software separate.... the price they give on their site seams to be for upgrade....

Here's what I got for screen when I click the buy option at 500$ USD.

https://www.paypal.com/th/cgi-bin/websc ... b71ef37df3

Hummmm... not sure I can read what it is written..... Hey when I see a page like this one after taking just one "Alexander Keith's Premium White" beer I realy think I have to stop drinking beer....

Under the "Where to Buy" menu there is no option to request a quote for the "Capture Software".... I probably miss something somewhere ????

Enjoy

Fab
dpc

Post by dpc »

That's unfortunate. I did manage to find a website offering an older (4.2) demo version of the Atiz software for download. Who knows if that's legit or it's just a trojan horse. I avoid downloading things like that to keep from infecting my machines, so I'm not going to post the link here.

I should also mention that Canon offers an SDK (C language APIs) that allows an application to control most of the Canon DSLR cameras from a Windows PC or Mac. The SDK is free of charge but you have to submit a request and get a password via an approval e-mail to download it. More info on Canon's website here.