global adjusts to PDFS revisited

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

intermediatic

global adjusts to PDFS revisited

Post by intermediatic »

This is a topic that has been revisited before, but with more and more sources of pre-scanned books as PDF online, I'm trying to find the most efficient way to make them readable and as crisp and clear as possible. Many have yellowed pages and so on.

I've got the following workflow down…

take such a PDF and save it as TIFFs in Adobe Acrobat (I could do this as a Quartz filter action in Automator, but that insists on asking me for a DPI… I would prefer that to be done automatically and Acrobat lets me do that).
open all of those images in Adobe Bridge (I have the version of Adobe CC on a nice academic special this year… ), select them all, then open them in RAW.
adjust the contrast, covert to grayscale, as needed
save as images
combine in Acrobat, OCR, save, then import into Papers 2, my document management/metadata app of choice.

That's not too bad, but it's still a bit fiddly. I don't feel I can adjust the contrast and convert to grayscale automatically. That's where my eye comes in, but maybe I can automate the rest?

Or maybe I can do all this in one App?

I have a Mac, for reference's sake.