Humble Request?

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

Literati
Number of books owned: 0

Humble Request?

Post by Literati »

So I'm new here (clearly) and was recommended by someone on another forum that I am on. I was hoping to find someone that would be willing to create a digital copy of a book (.epub format) from a physical copy. The book is not available digitally (that I'm aware of) and I would very much like to get a copy of this for my iPad.

I would be willing to buy the book and ship it to whoever could do it, and then afterwards, that person could just keep the book. Clearly this is on a scenario where the book is of interest to the person, and they have the time/interest in doing it. I'm on an extremely limited income, so I can't offer much in the way of monetary compensation (I'm on disability), but am open to arrangements.

The book I was interested in is this one here: http://www.amazon.com/I-Love-You-Philli ... lip+Morris

It's "I Love You Phillip Morris" by Steve McVicker. It was the basis for the Jim Carrey/Ewan McGregor movie.

If anyone is up for this, then I can buy the book this coming weekend, and have it shipped to you.

Hopefully this is the right section for this, as I don't wanna get on the mods bad side my 1st post. :o

Thank you all.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Humble Request?

Post by duerig »

With just a single book to scan for personal use, your best bet might be to call around to your local libraries and see if one of them has a scanner for public use. Increasingly, they do and you can use them just like photocopiers of old (but faster) and copy them off on a USB drive or somesuch.
Literati

Post by Literati »

Ah. I don't really have the ability to do this (or the know how) and so I was just hoping to find someone who would enjoy having a copy of the book to keep and would be willing/able to do this.

Thanks.
dpc

Post by dpc »

There are a number of businesses that will do this for you. For instance boundbookscanning.com will allow you to ship from Amazon directly to them, and they will do a destructive scan for $13.95+$0.06 per page. They can send you the PDF, epub, azw, or whatever format you want for various additional charges. They will also do a nondestructive scan and return the book to you, but that costs more.

1dollarscan.com is another popular scanning service. They are cheap, but quality seems to vary somewhat. There's a Wired article that describes the experience here: http://www.wired.com/2013/06/1dollarscan/. The book you want scanned is 146 pages. That's two "sets" so that would be $2 for a PDF of the raw images.

Asking someone to scan the book for you and keep the book as some sort of compensation for making a digital copy is very likely a violation of the Copyright Act. Scanning books that you own for your own backup purposes is a gray area that has yet to be tested in the courts so that's probably how these book scanning companies are currently getting away with it. Even then the scanning services usually make you sign something that states you're going to take the responsibility should any legal issues arise. Good luck.
Adam32
Number of books owned: 500

Post by Adam32 »

If you want to send me the book I would be willing to do it for free. I am in the UK, where are you?

Adam