Recommendations for scanning book covers/dust jackets?

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

Scanallthebooks
Number of books owned: 0

Recommendations for scanning book covers/dust jackets?

Post by Scanallthebooks »

I posted this on mobileread, but didn't get any answers, so was hoping somebody here could help out. ;)

Do you guys have any recommendations/best practices for scanning book covers and dust jackets? Do you just scan the front and the back of the book and leave it at that, or do you take out the dust jacket and scan the whole thing in full size? And which order do you put them in a pdf?

What about the book spine, do you scan that? Some covers have full size art extending from the front over the spine and to the back, so if you only scan the front and the back you would lose part of the art.

Dust jackets also have the folded flaps which I believe should be scanned as well.

Also, where do you place them in your final pdf? Everything at the start? Front cover at the start, back cover at the back?

Right now I'm thinking of scanning the complete dust jacket and putting it in as the first page in the PDF. However, then the back cover would also appear as page 1 which would look weird! Also, having *just* the cover as page 1 looks neat, while having the whole dust jacket would look clumsy.

So anyway, what do you guys do?
dpc

Re: Recommendations for scanning book covers/dust jackets?

Post by dpc »

I place the front dust jacket as the first page, inside flap as the second page, inside back flap as 2nd to last page, and back jacket as the last page in the PDF.

I've never done anything with the spine image although I could see that it could come in handy if you wanted to implement something like a virtual bookshelf.
Scanallthebooks

Re: Recommendations for scanning book covers/dust jackets?

Post by Scanallthebooks »

Thanks for the advice dpc! Maybe I'm a bit late to this book scanning business it seems this forum was much more active a few years ago? Anyway, I'll start a thread or two in the destructive scanning section and see if I can revive some discussion there. :mrgreen: