Does anyone have a cad file for Archivist book scanner?

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

Gandalf
Number of books owned: 20

Does anyone have a cad file for Archivist book scanner?

Post by Gandalf »

Please help me. I want to try to make a archivist book scanner. So I need a cad file. Does anyone have it?
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Does anyone have a cad file for Archivist book scanner?

Post by duerig »

AFAIK, Daniel never released a single CAD file of the whole Archivist. You can find DXF and STL and PDF files of various of the parts linked into the main Archivist pages here:

http://diybookscanner.org/archivist/

If you have any questions or notice any broken links, let me know. I'm happy to point you in the right direction on how to make your own.

BTW, the layout for the wooden parts he links to is meant for a CNC router. If you want to cut them out on a laser cutter, you will need to do a couple of extra post-cutting operations in order to handle the pockets. And the cradle wings which are also in that layout are meant to be cut out of 1/2" plywood while everything else is out of 3/4" plywood.

-Jonathon Duerig
Gandalf
Number of books owned: 20

Post by Gandalf »

Thank you so much for your quick and kind reply. God bless you! :) :D :D
smartechs

Post by smartechs »

Hi,

Were you able to find the DXF files for the Archivist? I am looking for them, if someone can help, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

smartechs, click on the individual part descriptions. You will want to read about the purpose and details of each part in any case because that will help you make the part and fix any problems that may arise during assembly. At the bottom of the part page are links to PDFs and/or DXFs which include that file. For most of the wooden parts, there are links to a DXF of all the wooden parts laid out on a 5'x5' board.

For example, look here: http://diybookscanner.org/archivist/ind ... age_id=133

At the bottom of that page, you will find links to a PDF drawing with dimensions, an STL 3d model, and a DXF of all the wooden parts (of which this is one piece). The PDFs are especially useful on the more complicated parts like the cradle angles and cradle wings where a simple DXF cannot describe the required part geometry. When I was manufacturing these pieces, I typically did secondary operations on a tablesaw after the CNC machine or lasercutter had cut them out.

-Jonathon Duerig