Losing Halves When Splitting Facing Pages with Scan Tailor

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

pomo81

Losing Halves When Splitting Facing Pages with Scan Tailor

Post by pomo81 »

I'll continue to experiment, but I seem to be losing page halves when splitting facing pages in Scan Tailor (0.9.8.1). When I input 141 open-book scans and split the pages into two halves , the result should be approximately 282 single pages, but I get 141 single pages. Might there be a setting I'm overlooking?
spamsickle

Re: Losing Halves When Splitting Facing Pages with Scan Tail

Post by spamsickle »

Most of us are using the DIY scanner, which creates a separate page for each image. I tried running one of my old "flatbed" scans through Scan Tailor a while back, and it worked as I expected it to. I suspect that you're simply asking prematurely, that is, without seeing what your final output looks like. As I recall, the application doesn't split the images in the thumbnail view, so if you start with 141 2-sided pages, it will still look like 141 2-sided pages in the thumbnail view, but it is processing two page images for each of those, and the output will consist of 282 TIFFs.

If that's not what you're seeing, take a look at the "split page" step, and see how it's splitting them. You can manually specify 2-page input at this step, if Scan Tailor is not recognizing the images properly for some reason.

There is a separate "Scan Tailor" section on the forum, and the question might get a better answer there.