ST suggestions and feature requests go here.

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: ST suggestions and feature requests go here.

Post by Tulon »

Anonymous wrote:No idea on how to commit it, though...
Post the patch to the mailing list - I'll review it and commit it.
If you aren't sure how to create one - ask on the mailing list.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

JonEP wrote: 1. A de-keystoning feature integrated into select content. You could select the four corners of the content, which would give you the "keystone" -- and you could apply that setting to carry on through the entire series, as in the current manual select content process. Then you press play, and the result is rectangular pages.

2. An output feature that would allow you to set the size of the output image. Currently, I run ST on the rights and then on the lefts, because the dpi is often different for each camera (my rig does not allow me to get perfectly uniform camera placement or zooming for each side). Five lines of text shot with one camera may contain 200 dots, while that shot from the other may contain 180; this means that when ST outputs images, they often vary, and the resultant pdf, once the L's and R's are combined, will alternate between wider and narrower pages. I'd love to be able to tell ST that this page is 5 inches wide by 8 inches high, and have ST do a transformation to fit the output image to that page-size.
http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... =850#p8699

#1 is called "perspective transform" in Photoshop. Now that content selection "apply to" has been implemented (I haven't tried it yet -- shameful, given how persistently I asked for it), it seems like allowing a general quadrilateral when doing manual selection would handle this.

Being able to specify different global DPI settings for right and left images would be useful. In circumstances where pages needed to be re-shot, being able to specify DPI for a single image might be useful too.
Mandor
E-book readers owned: lBook V8, lBook V3

Post by Mandor »

I have two suggestions for improving:
1. When I have a page with text and bitonal images, I can't use despeckling - many dots from images are removed. So, if you can (for example) enable "Picture zones" tab in B/W output mode, there can be specified zones, where despeckling is not needed.
2. (This is just a interface improvement) If I have spot on the page, and page content is determined incorrectly, I must move line "by hand", and it's never perfect. There is a function in FineReader, called something like "Determine zone boundaries", which works only on current zone and shrinks it to minimum. A similar function in ScanTailor can work on "Select content" stage and determine content only in current content selection, instead of whole page.
Anonymous1

Post by Anonymous1 »

So do you mean like despeckling zones? Or non-despeckling zones? I'd just turn down the despeckling level (or turn it off), because ST isn't getting much development lately, and I'm not up to introducing a pretty complicated feature...
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

Yes, I mean non-despeckling zones.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

The recommended workaround would be using picture zones and Mixed mode, then batch-converting to B/W using a 3rd party software if desired.
This would work because despeckling is only done in B/W output areas.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Thanks for moving my feature request to the appropriate thread!
Mandor

Post by Mandor »

Tulon wrote:The recommended workaround would be using picture zones and Mixed mode, then batch-converting to B/W using a 3rd party software if desired.
Thanks, Tulon, but this will work only on very clean scans. It's much more easier to me to use B/W output without despeckling and cleaning noise with graphical editor.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Hello all. I have a minor suggestion. Would it be possible for Scan Tailor to perform FEATHER when selecting content? That is, that it would skip certain pixels from selection. I am suggesting this because sometimes select content mistakes very light gray borders for white and the selection line "bites into" the content. I don't know whether I am explaining myself clear or not.
dtic

Post by dtic »

I noticed the latest ScanTailor beta only uses one core on my dual core Windows XP system. I'm not sure if that is how it always have been. Does ScanTailor use maximum CPU on other systems?