Howdy

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

bigred

Howdy

Post by bigred »

New guy here saying hello. I am a second year in law school and that is what led me to this site. I'm looking at scanning my law books onto my computer so that I don't have to carry around 40lbs of junk every day. I haven't been able to do a book yet because my little Kodak camera just isn't up to the task but I'm borrowing a DSLR this weekend to see how it goes. I have messed around with about 15 pages or sou out of one of my books and have been about 50/50 on the results. I am using the cardboard book holder and single piece of glass method to take pictures, I think it's due to a lack of light.

I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of highlighter and handwriting from the scanned pages. I think it is messing with the OCR.

Anyway. Glad I found this site and I look forward to the utility I get from being able to carry only a computer to school every day.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Howdy

Post by daniel_reetz »

welcome, bigred! Good to have you.

You may be able to automatically remove highlighting, handwriting may have to be a manual process.

Definitely work on your lighting. You'll see a big difference with your DSLR but it will also give you more bang for your lights. Make a thread about your experiments and we'll see how close we can get you...
Tim

Re: Howdy

Post by Tim »

bigred wrote:New guy here saying hello. I am a second year in law school and that is what led me to this site. I'm looking at scanning my law books onto my computer so that I don't have to carry around 40lbs of junk every day. I haven't been able to do a book yet because my little Kodak camera just isn't up to the task but I'm borrowing a DSLR this weekend to see how it goes. I have messed around with about 15 pages or sou out of one of my books and have been about 50/50 on the results. I am using the cardboard book holder and single piece of glass method to take pictures, I think it's due to a lack of light.

I was wondering if there was any way to get rid of highlighter and handwriting from the scanned pages. I think it is messing with the OCR.

Anyway. Glad I found this site and I look forward to the utility I get from being able to carry only a computer to school every day.
The right color filter attached to the lens may be able to solve the highlighter issue, but the handwriting may indeed be something you need to do manually. Its possible you could take pictures of the pages using several different color images and process out the handwriting because of its different color, but the amount of work to figure that process out might be way more than borrowing a clean copy of the books without handwriting.