Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.
E^3

Re: Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

Post by E^3 » 16 Jul 2010, 08:15

Hi folks,

Mauhay!

I am E^3 , from the Philippines and working as a Network Engineer here:
I was assigned to do some server apps(linux/unix/osx) previously ; but now my project was to build
a book scanner machine(hope it could be automated).

Thanks for the BookScanner Community

E^3
Philippines

litchie

Post by litchie » 20 Jul 2010, 09:48

Finally I am here after buying a VPN service.. I am the author of Page Scanner, http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=451, as introduced by univurshul. I am from China. I love reading books, especially books of very old age.

maddoc600

Post by maddoc600 » 21 Jul 2010, 15:47

Hi

I'm Fabio from Italy. I am a medicine student much involved in neurology.

I've always been interested in scanning medicine books (mostly because they are quite heavy to transport and sometimes I need several of them)

I hope i can succede in building one with the help of the community.

If I do success I can promise lifetime free medical consults!

thanks!

Fabio

ajjfonseca

Post by ajjfonseca » 22 Jul 2010, 13:07

Hi all,
I am Antonio (aka ajjfonseca), from Sevilla (Spain). I am a senior System Engineer in the Regional Government, and very interested in old illustrated periodicals. I've found this web/forum just by chance and I think is very exciting to join so many people concerned in book scanners. For me a DIY scanner is a must, because old periodical stuff is really fragile, and DIY is a must either because I have a very low (and of my own) budget :-). So, I'm very happy to be here. Thanks

rd_starwalt

Post by rd_starwalt » 26 Jul 2010, 17:29

Greetings! I am Doug in South Carolina (USA).

I love books and need more space!
It is amazing that economic and social trends seem to find folk with similar needs and this project certainly can meet a great need.

With nearly 32 years working in electronics, my garage/shop probably has all that I need to build this except for two cameras.

I love old texts and look forward to building my scanner and contributing to this group.

blasterino

Post by blasterino » 29 Jul 2010, 15:09

Hi, I'm Chilean student last year in Computer Engineering. I was planning
doing my thesis on this subject and come to this wonderful site
that they share info with me be helpful. I hope together we can share more. Regards ;)

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 30 Jul 2010, 09:38

Welcome, everyone! It's so good to see new faces and new talent around here. Over the summer, I'm going to be redoing the main page and a few other small things. I think sometimes it's easier to spot weird stuff when you're new to a place. If you have any suggestions, please say so here.

Cheers!

jeffr

Post by jeffr » 05 Aug 2010, 22:46

Hi, my name's Jeff. I have about 250 textbooks, all math, physics,
or programming and another 50 or 60 foreign language reference books
(dictionaries, grammar, readers) in Chinese and Japanese. Needless to
say, this is not a very portable collection. To make things worse,
I tend to write notes in all my textbooks. These are corrections,
clarifications, and other (long winded) explanations to myself. Now
that I'm retired and extended travel is an option, I find that I'd
really like to take it all with me. It's clear I need to build a
scanner!

Sometimes my notes get pretty far into the margin, so I'm going to
need a way to scan as close as possible into the spine of the books.
Second, once my collection is digitized, I'm not going to write in
my books any more. Instead, I want to write in the digitized copies.
But I don't want to destroy the original scans, so I want some sort
of overlay feature with the ability to display both the original page
and the associated overlay (if there is one). It would also be nice to
be able to add hyperlinks to pages of my books to other things: web pages,
local PDF documents associated with the book, etc. Of course, I want
to be able to do this from a very portable platform, like an iPad (which
I don't have). Of course I want it all searchable! :D

I guess I have my work cut out for me.

iwenttoofast

Post by iwenttoofast » 07 Aug 2010, 10:26

Hi folks:

I'm Jim Studnicki, posting from Towson, MD (about 20 minutes north of downtown Baltimore, and an hour and a half north of Washington, DC). I'm the owner and President of a commerical scanning facility called Creekside Digital. While we scan a lot of microfilm, we also offer high-quality, non-destructive digitization of books, manuscripts, maps and posters, you name it. Prior to founding Creekside Digital, I spent over a decade in the enterprise software biz (developing, implementing, and eventually selling core systems across a variety of industries). Last year, we took delivery of the first i2S CopiBook HD 600 book scanner in the US, so I have a lot of insights to share from the commercial side of the house, espeically regarding hardware, cameras, lighting, specific software pieces of imaging workflows, you name it. Contrary to what you might think, we're not threatened by the DIY book scanning movement; in fact, we embrace it. Anything that takes knowledge out of the hands of the few and distributes it to the many is a good thing, and besides, there are so many books out there that I'm fairly confident we'll be able to find something to do with ourselves for the forseeable future. Honestly, it increases awareness of what we do, and there will always be people who would rather send us a check and their books rather than build and scan their own. But I must say I'm quite impressed at the work that has been done and posted here so far.

JohnK

Post by JohnK » 09 Aug 2010, 13:41

Hi all, I'm John K from central NJ. Only got involved in this bookscanning technology a few month ago and have found this site very useful. Thanks for the education! Short term I am trying to get a grant for a system that would be useful to our local historical society. Ultimately, I would like to find a way to achieve a much more affordable system that could be accessible to more local organizations. Also contemplating plans for a DIY scanner, which will probably get accellerated if the grant is unsuccessful. By training I'm an Electrical Engineer and spent many years in the semiconductor industry, applications engineering and sales.