Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.
Denivic
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

Post by Denivic » 10 Nov 2010, 05:10

Allow me to reintroduce myself...my name is Denivic, well my online name that is. You can find be on the net using that Alias. I am glad to be here. I have been looking for a website such as DIYBS for years. The knowledge gain from these thread are going to help me tremendously moving fwd in my book scanning projects (will be announce later) I currently reside in the Sunshine state. I'm looking fwd to my 1st designed...not sure how that's will pan out, but I am willing to give it a go.

Moreover, people may want to know what I am doing here, I'm here to build a great book scanner to scan tons of books. Seriously, I am a "canine pedigree researcher," my goal is to scan the entire collection of Stub book at the AKC library located in NY. People thought I was crazy when I mention the idea, hearing stories from the frequent posters to this board just excite me. Prior to finding this DIYBS I scan the market for the next best thing, but because the physical median is now accessible to average people, my goal now seem nearer and feasible....Thank you Daniel you have made the next few months a little less painless.

dansheffler

Post by dansheffler » 14 Nov 2010, 10:56

Hi, I'm Dan. I am currently a PhD student in Philosophy at the University of Kentucky. My current academic interests are in ancient philosophy, primarily Plato, and early Christian theology and patristics, primarily Augustine.

I am very grateful to have found this forum since it is saving me hundreds of dollars in future chiropractic bills. As a grad student, I was hauling around five or six books wherever I was going, but now I am simply scanning the books that I need into PDFs and reading them on my kindle 2. I typically need to read around 50-100 pages per day to keep up with my courses and comprehensive exams and I was running into many situations where I would find myself in one place, say my office, only to realize that I had grabbed the wrong book. Gone are those days.

My first build was a simplified 'new standard' that I constructed using parts I had lying around. The only components that I needed to buy were the linear bearings. After doing several book scans with great satisfaction I made several major improvements yesterday with one of my roommates. (pictures to come)

si tu potes latine loqui, tecum loqui volo. hic, id est Lexingtoniense, schola posita in qua lingua latina iam vivit.

photoman290

Post by photoman290 » 14 Nov 2010, 20:44

hi,
my name is bob based in UK. just found this forum about 2 days after my kindle arrived. i have downloaded a few of my favourite books but have noticed a large gap in what seems to be available. i like to reread my favourite books so thought the only way is to scan them myself. been reading as much as i can and have got the general idea. just brought a canon powershot A590 IS from ebay as recommended. i am a semi retired engineer so the hardware side should be pretty straightforward. the software might be a bit of a challenge but i do have help if i get to stuck. i have played with OCR about 12 years ago so hopefully it has improved a bit since then. :D i am sure i will have questions but will carry on reading for a couple of weeks before i ask.

duniel3000

Post by duniel3000 » 15 Nov 2010, 14:50

Hello everyone,

I'm here because I've kept a diary since a young age, and now being somewhat older the number of (handwritten) diaries has grown into the dozens.
Every now and then I re-read a year or two of my own biography (it's funny how one remembers some things clearly, and others are completely forgotten). I may be going on a longish holiday soon, and it would be great if I could take "a couple of years" along with me. Obviously those books are fairly precious to me, and I'm somewhat fearful they could get lost or destroyed in a fire or eaten by moths.
For these reasons I have long wondered whether scanning everything would be feasible. Since we're talking perhaps 10,000 pages here, with my "normal" scanner it clearly wouldn't.
Enter DIY book scanner.
Although I would like the challenge of building such a scanner myself, I don't feel I'm equipped well enough. Also it would be more of a one off project, although a fairly massive one.
So ideally someone would know someone in Berlin (Germany) or thereabouts who'd rent out his/her machine, say, by the week.
Or perhaps yet, I could hire someone to do the scanning either at a competitive rate to be determined, or, if it was someone from abroad, in my Berlin appartment for room and board during the time the project takes.
The books have different formats. It's all handwritten, so OCR is out of the question. I would be interested however in the idea of annotating the resulting files to make them (somewhat) searchable by date or names. The ink is partially faded, the pages aren't pure white for the most part either, so that doesn't make it easier I guess.
If someone had an idea pointers I'd be most grateful. But I'm very grateful already to have found this wonderful site, which is gives me hope that it can be done.

Regards, Daniel

Rick O

Post by Rick O » 16 Nov 2010, 15:35

Daniel, et al.,

My wife and I moved to Springer, NM, in the northeast part of the state, in July. We ran away from Maryland, which had been home for over 20 years, leaving behind kids and grandkids, and tons of miscellaneous stuff left over from a life in suburbia. We’ve fallen in love with this place, so we’re staying. We live on a 35-acre ranch, which we rent, and my wife works 45 miles away as a nurse practitioner.

Part of the rationale behind the move was to give me time and space to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, after full-time wage slaving to get the five kids to adulthood in one piece, which Andi and I accomplished more or less successfully.

The point of all this is to say that I’ve decided to become a writer/editor/publisher; there simply aren’t any paying jobs here, so I have to invent my own, which is a good thing, though difficult. In my researches yesterday, I found diybookscanning, and I’m fascinated.

Part of my evolving game plan is to reprint or republish public domain materials, and scanning plays a big part in that process. I’m uncertain, today, whether or not I want to go the route of building my own scanner, or to find and employ the services of independent builders on a project-by-project basis, for love or money. Are there folks in this group who do that sort of thing?

My other question is: Can material be captured in formats other than .pdf? I’m really looking to capture printed text as plain text, or something else that can be imported into and edited by Word, or perhaps Scribus or Open Office. Cracking .pdfs open for editing purposes costs money, which I don’t have, whereas exporting in .pdf format is free, which I do.

Anyway, that’s perhaps more than you wanted to hear or know. I’m interested; it looks like a fun group doing good, important work; and I’m happy to be a part. I’m building my first blog at TaylorSprings.blogspot.com, to discuss homesteading on the Santa Fe Trail and building resilient communities in post-Peak Oil America. See you here or there.

Best wishes,

Rick

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 16 Nov 2010, 18:46

Rick O wrote:The point of all this is to say that I’ve decided to become a writer/editor/publisher; there simply aren’t any paying jobs here, so I have to invent my own, which is a good thing, though difficult.
You happen to be in a part of the world that's not that far from Don Lancaster, who's done something like what you're describing since the '70s. He wrote a book I found quite helpful, The Incredible Secret Money Machine http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2007/ ... y-machine/ that I found quite helpful. (Note the small green plant growing on top of the machine.)

Mr. Lancaster's web site is here. http://www.tinaja.com/

rubypdf

Post by rubypdf » 16 Nov 2010, 19:23

Greeting from Steven(aka rubypdf) .
I am a developer from Shanghai, China.

strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Post by strider1551 » 16 Nov 2010, 21:32

Welcome rubypdf and Rick!
Rick O wrote:Part of my evolving game plan is to reprint or republish public domain materials, and scanning plays a big part in that process. I’m uncertain, today, whether or not I want to go the route of building my own scanner, or to find and employ the services of independent builders on a project-by-project basis, for love or money. Are there folks in this group who do that sort of thing?
Quite likely. Posting in the agora section will probably be a good place to start.
Rick O wrote:My other question is: Can material be captured in formats other than .pdf? I’m really looking to capture printed text as plain text, or something else that can be imported into and edited by Word, or perhaps Scribus or Open Office. Cracking .pdfs open for editing purposes costs money, which I don’t have, whereas exporting in .pdf format is free, which I do.
Materials are not captured in pdf. They are captured as digital images (.jpg, .raw, .tif, whatever you're camera supports), post-processed with various pieces of software, and then made into pdf's or comparable formats. To get the plain text from the image, you can use OCR software... but it probably won't be perfect, so be ready to manually review it.

Depending of how much of a headache you want, a tex based system like latex or xetex instead of Word/OpenOffice/etc. can produce some professional results when it comes to typesetting... and might be easier to go from ocr plain text results to a formatted text. But it's no small hurdle to learn, that's for sure.

ceeann1
E-book readers owned: Several Palm PDA's
Number of books owned: 700

Post by ceeann1 » 17 Nov 2010, 22:37

Hi my name is Ceeann and I am a brand new member. I am a biologist and somewhat of a mathematician. My areas of interest in that where and are genetics, microbiology, and biochemistry. I also have an interest in any living system and really in systems in general. I have been a teacher(secondary) and I am currently working in the aerospace field. I have worked with turbine injectors and am now working with aircraft ducting... not always exciting but it pays the bills.

I tend to play with computers quite a bit although I long ago gave up coding as a lost cause on my part. I am working on several projects with the computers as I feel like progressing them. I am working on digitizing my music from vinyl and a collection of reel to reel tapes of old radio programs. I am working on a home control system that accepts verbal commands(realy old hat but its an old project). I have a cookbook in the works on an odd little database. I want to digitize my old video tapes to the computer and thats on the back burner. I am also wanting to digitize many of an extensive collection of books.

I build things out of wood, metal, leather, and fabric as the need or want presents itself. I build a hammock stand and the hammock that hangs in it. I build the shelves my hundreds of books sit on. I have a coffee cup holder on my desk made of an old aluminum pipe. I am working on a recumbent tadpole trike made of a novel composite of bamboo, carbon fiber, and aircraft grade foam. I am interested in making a home foundry to cast aluminum and possibly bronze. I want to build a home from Intermodal shipping containers.

I live in Albuquerque, NM. I am 5' 11", Female, long hair, green/gray/blonde... the rest is subject to change with no notice.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 17 Nov 2010, 23:05

Welcome to the forums! Be sure to post pics of some of those projects! We even have a thread for it...