Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

scann
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

Post by scann »

Hi Chris,

Yes, the project is active and running -we only have some issues with keeping all the information updated, and we're working on that. If you go to the Scanner & Builds threads you'll notice that there are some active topics over there. Also happens that people doesn't decide to build a scanner every day.

And don't worry about your English, this community has people from all over the world who don't necessarily speak English as their first mother-tongue. We are also working on that.

Have fun!
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

Chris, I've had some recent progress working with lasers and book scanning. See my notes thread about my experiments with it here:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =17&t=3066

If you are interested in collaborating, let me know and I can get you a working copy of my code and we can talk more. I'd be happy to have additional help on this, especially from somebody who understands the math better. There are at least a couple of papers which seem to have promising methods which I want to try out but my math skills weren't up to converting their equations to code.
rapunzel
E-book readers owned: Barnes&Noble Nook Simple Touch (rooted)
Number of books owned: 905

Post by rapunzel »

Hey Chris!

It sounds like you're more interested in non-destructive scanning, but if you want to talk about destructive scanning, I have around 500 books' worth of experience in that area. That's probably enough books for me to call myself an expert, at least in my methods. ;)
My library: 916 books and 1,350 short stories
Scanned books: 517
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Hi scann,
Yes, the project is active and running -we only have some issues with keeping all the information updated, and we're working on that. If you go to the Scanner & Builds threads you'll notice that there are some active topics over there
that sounds very good!

Hi duerig,
If you are interested in collaborating, let me know and I can get you a working copy of my code and we can talk more. I'd be happy to have additional help on this, especially from somebody who understands the math better. There are at least a couple of papers which seem to have promising methods which I want to try out but my math skills weren't up to converting their equations to code.
I am interested! I will answer in the thread you've linked to, I guess my answer belongs there.

Hey rapunzel,
It sounds like you're more interested in non-destructive scanning, but if you want to talk about destructive scanning, I have around 500 books' worth of experience in that area. That's probably enough books for me to call myself an expert, at least in my methods. ;)
You're right, I am more interested in non-destructive scanning. I bought a scanner with a document feeder some time ago, but there are many books I wouldn't want to cut.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

rapunzel wrote:Hey Chris!

rapunzel, we have a thread where some users share experiences with destructive methods here - anything you might add? http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... e+scanning
nechton
E-book readers owned: none

Post by nechton »

Hello from Washington, DC!!

I work for the International Data Rescue Organization (http://www.iedro.org/). We are a non-profit organization that assists developing countries convert environmental data (primarily weather data) from paper to digital format. We have worked in over a dozen countries and helped convert hundreds of thousands of documents.

I am hoping to learn advice, tips, and all other things related to digital conversion of paper so that I can we can improve our process in helping others.

Cheers!

Randy
scann

Post by scann »

Hello Randy, welcome to the forum! I think that you might find a lot of useful information here about converting books into bytes.
kfogel

Post by kfogel »

Hi, all. I'm one of the people managing the BookLiberator project (see http://BookLiberator.com/). We hope BookLiberator users can help improve the digitization and OCR software that DIY Book Scanner depends on too, and in general we hope to avoid duplication of effort of course.

That's all for the moment. Happy scanning!

Best,
-Karl Fogel
http://questioncopyright.org/
dingodog
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by dingodog »

I'm glad to see this project live again!!! useful for people like me having not a so great manual ability for these kind of do yourself works
OCB
E-book readers owned: kobo aura HD, kindle thingy
Number of books owned: 400

Post by OCB »

Hello all. It's not the first time I've lurked here - last time I looked was 2 or 3 years back.
I now have a real need to start scanning books, as I've started collecting (1st edition) pre WWII aviation books which exist nowhere in digital format. They're not exceedingly rare (yet), but I want the scanned so I can read them on my commute.

I'm not going to spend the best part of a 1000 euro to buy the official kit. I would like something a bit more than a cardboard solution though.
I have a good Canon DSLR (550D)- and willing to invest in a macro lens, and to be honest I like the simplicity of a "face-down" rig (but it's early days).
I do have a few compacts (sony, olympus, canon) laying around, which will remain an option.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a good, low cost (<200 eur) rig setup that won't take months of tinkering, I'd appreciate it!

About me:
I'm a mid 40s Brit expat in Belgium. My reading passions have been sci-fi short stories since my early teens, non-fiction (politics, war, economics,history...they go together), and the occasional Terry Pratchett.

I've always been into aviation, being in the Air Training Corp as a teenager, and got round to seriously learning to fly about 5 or 6 years ago. Now I don't have the time to fly due to a young family, but I love reading aviation books. A chance encounter with a collectors book shop near my current place of work has gotten me hooked on the idea of building a collection. I'm not going to spend a fortune, but the books I buy are rare, and won't last for ever.