Hello I am glad to be here!

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

ouroboros
E-book readers owned: kindel fire
Number of books owned: 500

Re: Hello I am glad to be here!

Post by ouroboros »

You both have given me much food for thought. And I THANK YOU for it. I will need to re-read and take notes on the above posts. :D
I agree with what you said about size vs. quality. In the forums I frequent, the push is for smallest size and less so for quality. I don't think they know the relation between the two. As long as the pieces/board are clear the letters/words should be too and that matters most. After all, I could process a book down to 2MB...but you couldn't read it! :lol: There is a fine balance I need to find. :ugeek:
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by rkomar »

I would add one more piece of advice: scan in as high a resolution as is comfortable, and save those scans. You can always resize them smaller for the documents if you want, but you can't make low resolution scans better afterwards. Also, in my experience, a new, better way of composing the documents always seems to come up a year or two after you make your first versions. It's good to have the original, high-res scans on hand to create a better version of the document, rather than having to re-scan the book again.
ouroboros
E-book readers owned: kindel fire
Number of books owned: 500

Post by ouroboros »

Yes! I will :D and NOT save them as .jpegs :| :oops: Because of that bonehead move I do have some re-scanning when winter comes...
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

rkomar wrote:I would add one more piece of advice: scan in as high a resolution as is comfortable, and save those scans. You can always resize them smaller for the documents if you want, but you can't make low resolution scans better afterwards. Also, in my experience, a new, better way of composing the documents always seems to come up a year or two after you make your first versions. It's good to have the original, high-res scans on hand to create a better version of the document, rather than having to re-scan the book again.
Good advice.

On size vs. quality, be clear that for black and white images there is *no* tradeoff if the images are saved using the suggested formats of TIFF-CCITT G4 and JBIG2-Lossless, as both are use *lossless* compression -- the very small files that can result are identical to the original images however large they were.

For colour and grayscale images, there is indeed a tradeoff with the file formats currently available and some care is advisable if quality is important -- that is another good reason to retain the original scans if possible.