How many members need OCR only?

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

Afish

How many members need OCR only?

Post by Afish »

Hi,

I am wondering what percantage of members need an exact glareless photocopy of each page versus a just acceptable copy that gives a good OCR. If you are after OCR perhaps we can determine the minimum criteria for this group. I think Scan Tailor can be skipped and go directly to AbbyyFinereader or Omnipage 17. Any thoughts?
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Re: How many members need OCR only?

Post by IcantRead »

I need OCR because I need it for text to speech. I have tryed Omnipage. It works great for text only but most of what I scan is math or physics text books. So I have to go threw and select all the math as images or make make it into a searchable pdf.
Afish

Post by Afish »

IcantRead,
Interesting name. I rarely read a book cover to cover before I found audiobooks and Textaloud. Then I have listened to over 500 fiction books until I started to listen non-fiction then only to Christian religious books. I listen to one book a day so I don't have time for Scan Tailor. http://WWW.archive.org mentioned on this forum was a great new source of books that I am converting one a day with Textaloud. But once this supply is exhuasted I'll have to start on the hardcopy books in my public library system.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

Yeah I hate beating around the bush about my reading capabilitys. Also I didn't want people comenting on my spelling, and not reading what they wrote correctly. So I made it my name. Yeah I need a book scanner for all of my text books that I can not find ebooks for. Normaly its all of my books. I love audio books! I reasently found that the library has a large asortment of them and the have a data base were you can download them.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I dunno... I keep reading papers that say OCR gets better results if a page is clean, straight, and not warped...
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

I've had the opportunity to use Abbyy Pro 10 and it can handle a
lot that my Omnipage Pro 11 can't but I'll still use Scan Tailor even
if I could afford Abbyy. It can handle a fair amount of skew and
dirty background in the limited time I used it.
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb »

Would be fine if my scans get OCRed on the go saving disс space and being easier to read
however pages i scan contain also tables and graphich that i need to save too,
so scan tailor is kinda trade-off between time spent on each page vs. scans usability
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I think I will end up using scan tailor because I like searchable image better than regular pdf. That way my reader still can read it and if the OCR is off a little it dose not matter i can just read it.