Dallas Makerspace Reporting In

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

Afloyd
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 500

Dallas Makerspace Reporting In

Post by Afloyd »

Hello!

I'm from the Dallas Makerspace! Just discovered this project today and as a former book seller and book lover I think it's absolutely brilliant! I struggle with my collection of hardcopy books and I know that our facilities have problems with book storage as well. This technology looks like it'd be a fantastic addition to our space!

I know absolutely nothing but I'm excited to get started, I've already started sending messages to the makers there and I have a few that are interested.

Looking forward to working with you all!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Dallas Makerspace Reporting In

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey, great to hear from you! As you know, one of the goals of the project is to get one of these scanners within driving distance of everyone on earth. Lofty, I know, but really not that hard to do. I intended to start with makerspaces because they have a public face and technical people to solve tricky problems.

What needs to happen in order to get a scanner operational in Dallas Makerspace?
Afloyd

Post by Afloyd »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyUSjHMQ ... tion=share

Looks like we got one! We have a few people who are willing to get it up and running. Beyond that I don't know. Thinks at makerspaces take on lives of their own. :D
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Congratulations!!!
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Is this the same Dallas Makerspace? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDv19ReMtl0#t=707 ? Great facilities!
Afloyd

Post by Afloyd »

Sorry for the long delay!

Well, on the bright side the Dallas Makerspace is growing. We're now past the 400 member mark and we're pulling out of our 6,000 sq. ft. Facility and moving into one about 10,000+ sq. ft. BIGGER.

I would like the bookscanner to go with us and be part of the new space. I'm a little embarrassed to say that so far it has not really been in any sort of use since we last talked.

With the member increase space became so limited that there wasn't really anywhere to put the scanner. I did eventually find a home for it, but that home was behind a huge scrap bin that made any kind of work on the device impossible. I have taken it home finally to try and get it running myself in my off time.

I have assembled the wooden structure as seen in the video from before. I have the light installed at the top, and I have a powershot canon that came with it, as well as one a member donated/loaned to me to use. I have a quantity of bolts with no directions on where they go or what they happen to be used for.

Since this scanner was purchased from you folks, is there an online manual that I might consult that could get me on my way to having all the mechanics and bits mounted that need to be?

Thanks again!
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yep, the assembly manual is here:

http://diybookscanner.org/assemblymanual.pdf