What would a linguist do without his books?

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

FKLinguista
E-book readers owned: Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 100

What would a linguist do without his books?

Post by FKLinguista »

Hello all! I'm happy to be a member of this forum and happy that such a community of people exists. I'm currently an undergrad student (majoring in German) planning to go into grad school with an M.A. in Linguistics focusing on the Kuki-Chin language Sizang (Siyin), which is located in Northwest Burma. In order to learn Sizang, I began (and am still learning) Burmese, the national language of Burma (Myanmar).

There are many great (and out-of-copyright) books on Sizang and Burmese, that have been digitized, however, some have been not. I digitized (but have not put on archive.org) an old grammar of the Sizang language from the 1920's, and am planning to digitize a few books that I have acquired on a trip to Burma. Before I discovered this site, I was using a very old and slowww HP scanner that I bought cheaply from Goodwill. After I found the simple book scanner tutorial, I have been trying to construct the wedges and utilize the piece of glass effectively to scan pages, but I still have some tweaking to do! (Perhaps, I can learn from any of your previous findings!)

Thanks for having me here!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: What would a linguist do without his books?

Post by daniel_reetz »

Welcome and thank you so much for the introduction! It's always exciting to hear about new projects and better uses for DIY tech...