Hello from the TEX-MEX Border :)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

Gvilla
Number of books owned: 0

Hello from the TEX-MEX Border :)

Post by Gvilla »

Hello, My name is Guillermo Villa, I'm a photography lover/graphic designer/father of 3/pasionated for life, and I, along my oldest son are currently digitising a Newspaper from México.

We have been working In this project for a Year, now. We had digitised from 1964 till 1971, learning a lot and always doing it with love and patience :)

We started from Zero and now we built/designed a Bookscanner grabbing inspiration from few Diy Bookscanner member designs.

We currently digitise 1k pages per week and you guys can check here our job: https://tinyurl.com/mqscwqd

If we can be of help, please let us know.

Nice meeting you all, guys! :D

Sincerely,

Gvilla.
Attachments
VEO's Large format Book Scanner
VEO's Large format Book Scanner
Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 2.16.20 PM.png (616.13 KiB) Viewed 129739 times
dpc

Re: Hello from the TEX-MEX Border :)

Post by dpc »

Welcome!

Scanning large pages has additional challenges that the typical bookscanner doesn't have. From the photo you've posted you have the additional problem in that the newspaper pages have been bound into a book where it becomes more difficult to scan the edge of the page near the gutter.

A few questions:
What type of camera are you using to photograph the pages? What size are the resulting images (in pixels)? Any problems with uneven lighting across that large page size or uneven focus near the outer corners of the page? Do you shoot the entire page or shoot smaller areas and stitch them together later to create a larger image to maintain a high DPI? How are you ensuring that the pages are flat (I didn't see a glass platen in the photo you've posted)? Do you perform any type of color correction on the images of yellowed newsprint to make it appear more white/black?
Gvilla

Post by Gvilla »

Hello and sorry for the late response :D we are using Eos cameras, they are crop sensor. We had the problems you mentioned and now it looks like we standardized the process. Please have a look at our work and feel free to comment. https://tinyurl.com/mqscwqd Cheers! Gvilla.
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

Bienvenido!
Gvilla wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 21:32 we are using Eos cameras,
I see in the image that a flash is mounted on the EOS camera. Do you actually take the pictures with flash?
Gvilla

Post by Gvilla »

Hello, Sorry for the so late response :) Yep, I'm using flashes to fill-in and make edges sharper. Cheers!
Gvilla

Post by Gvilla »

L.Willms wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 06:51 Bienvenido!

Thanks!
Hello, Sorry for the so late response :) Yep, I'm using flashes to fill-in and make edges sharper. Cheers!
Gvilla wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 21:32 we are using Eos cameras,
I see in the image that a flash is mounted on the EOS camera. Do you actually take the pictures with flash?