Could I ask for a book?

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

reggilbert
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Could I ask for a book?

Post by reggilbert »

Anonymous wrote:Russia now has the right to browse through your hard drives in the airport
No surprise there, as Russia is a thinly masked dictatorship. Amazingly, the same is true here in the United States, so long as the travel involved is return from a trip abroad. Check out this post by Glenn Greenwald at Salon.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Gerard wrote::D i just wont to show you what we see of the video daniel_reetz posted

this says "this video has content of UMG, it is not available in your country"
Bildschirmfoto-2.png
(from Germany)

sony posted once himself commercials on youtube for germay, this was also a big laugh because they was blocked "this video ..."
This is the kind of thing that makes me laugh and cry all at once. AAGGhhhhh!!!

And yeah, the US has no problem seizing laptops/disks, copying their contents, and keeping them indefinitely. Glad I'm not speaking from experience, here. I've only had to deal with the usual TSA crap.
COREi7
E-book readers owned: Goodreader (ipad)
Number of books owned: 100

Post by COREi7 »

My intent is not to hi-jack this thread, but one of a related nature... (Didn't want to create a new thread regarding this as it concerns the legalities of book copying).

My question is... Is it legal or illegal to copy a book for some (and only that person) when they own the book. This question stems from the fact that I will be assembling a book scanner, and undoubtedly friends and family will be lining up to ask me to convert their old paper books into a format for their ipads... I'm not interested in crossing legal boundaries for the obvious legal implications.

I obviously wouldn't want to have to tell friends and family to go build their own book scanner if mine could do the job... but the question stands... If you don't make any copies other than the one for the person who owns the book, and no copies of the book remain after the job is done (ie: the book owner is the only one that gets the copy of their own book), is that actually legal to do?

So... in the vein of copying a book for someone else... that's my question...

Comments and perspectives would be greatly appreciated... and again, if I'm stepping on someones toes by posting my question here, apologies! It's seemed to me like a related question to the original thread topic.

Thomas
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

It depends on the country. In the U.S., format-shifting a book that you own is considered fair use (and therefore legal under US copyright law) -- as long as you retain all copies, and as long as you don't break DRM to do so (which is still illegal in the US). So, for example, it would be illegal for you to scan a book and then donate the physical copy to a library, because then you have not retained (or destroyed) all copies.

So in your case, yes, in the US, it would be legal to have someone (anyone) give you a book, have you format-shift it, and give them back the book and the electronic version -- as long as you yourself retain no copies in any format.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.