NDSU ALA Book Scanner Project 2011

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

ALA_NDSU

Re: NDSU ALA Book Scanner Project 2011

Post by ALA_NDSU »

IMAG0180.jpg
Our full time wood shop technician got us the perfect hardware that fit this template. My partner, Dusty, and I had a few good laughs getting the nuts into the tight cut-outs so that they would line up with the bolts. Fun afternoon project. We are finishing the construction today and installing electronics so we can have the project done in time to show our department chair/ program director this coming Monday!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Looks like a great fit! I hope you're doing these one-at-a-time to work out the issues involved... very exciting to see more copies of this scanner coming to life! When you get one together, do try gluing it... I think that's the key to making them really usable. With only screws, there is a lot of flex in the structure.
ALA_NDSU

Post by ALA_NDSU »

Dan, everything was glued together and we are still just waiting on the glass and electronics to finish the build... more pictures to come later this week. Thanks again.
ALA_NDSU

Post by ALA_NDSU »

Hello all. I took a little break from assisting with our scanner project, but we are making progress. We are just waiting on the LED's to arrive and then we will install and be completed! we are very excited!!!! Thanks for all the help and support along the way.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Congratulations on hitting that milestone! Looking forward to seeing the thing get closer to operation.
ALA_NDSU

Post by ALA_NDSU »

IMAG0642.jpg
Alligator clip stand. preparing to solder wires together. We soldered our button to the power supply.
IMAG0643.jpg
Soldering the wires.
IMAG0644.jpg
Buttons light up mean. This can mean only one thing... soldering success!!!
IMAG0645.jpg
We are only waiting for the LEDs to arrive so that we can put the finishing touches on our badass book scanner!!!
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I must admit, I am a little jealous... mine is disassembled... :mrgreen:
ALA_NDSU

Post by ALA_NDSU »

Thanks Dan, we are nearly done with the project, just need to get the cameras up and running and then we can close the book (so-to-say) on the project!
:) :) :) :) :) :)
ALA_NDSU

Post by ALA_NDSU »

Dan, Hello again. We (my cohort and I) have taken some time off from the project to assist with other errands around the department. I now have a new team member assisting with the project and we are struggling to get our cameras all set up. I am not the software brains of our team, rather I excelled at the construction side of our project. My new team member and I would really appreciate any assistance that we could get to get our scanner up and running before the begining of the school year, which happens to be next week..... eekk!!! We have two Canon PowerShot A480 cameras and two Eye-Fi SD card/ reader combos. We are not really sure how to proceed so that our LEDs and cameras work in unison. From the things that we have read, this should be a fairly simple task but we seem to be struggling. would you be able to help walk us through these final steps. We will post if we find a solution before we hear from you. Thanks so much!

Thanks,
NDSU ALA dept.