Daniel Speaking At Open Hardware Summit 2011 - watch live.

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Daniel Speaking At Open Hardware Summit 2011 - watch liv

Post by daniel_reetz »

btw, miket161, I will work with you on individual G-code parts, for sure.

I'm exhausted, didn't sleep last night but did get the artwork into shape. By the end of the day I'll have a video and FAQ.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yep, 100, according to the platen videos I posted earlier. Will post a video tomorrow morning before leaving my current residence.
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

With that horizontal bar across the front, how do you keep a book that is normally closed (like a paperback) from closing on you as the cradle is lowered after the scan?

Normally you'd just stick a finger in the book's gutter as the platen is raised, but with that bar moving in front as the cradle lowers, how do you ensure that the book doesn't close and lose your place?
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

dpc wrote:With that horizontal bar across the front, how do you keep a book that is normally closed (like a paperback) from closing on you as the cradle is lowered after the scan?

Normally you'd just stick a finger in the book's gutter as the platen is raised, but with that bar moving in front as the cradle lowers, how do you ensure that the book doesn't close and lose your place?
In the video, he discusses (but does not demonstrate) how it is designed so you can flip the platen/camera/etc. assembly upside down into a pyramid and do paperbacks that way. He notes that there's futzing currently required because of something with the position of the handbrake.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

dpc wrote:With that horizontal bar across the front, how do you keep a book that is normally closed (like a paperback) from closing on you as the cradle is lowered after the scan?

Seems like that horizontal bar could be made with an arch in the area you stick your left hand in.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yep, that's possible.

There's an extended discussion going on over here if you want to put all these questions in one place...
scann

Post by scann »

we have translated dan to spanish and subtitled the video... maybe it will help to spread the word into spanish communities :P

http://blip.tv/derechoaleer/daniel-reet ... io-5753315

here is the srt file, maybe is useful for someone:
http://www.4shared.com/document/AhEBKjRk/65539025.html