Daniel Speaking At Open Hardware Summit 2011 - watch live.

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

scann
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Daniel Speaking At Open Hardware Summit 2011 - watch liv

Post by scann »

Dan, I have heard your talk and I was expecting you'll show there how the new standard book scanner works... but it didn't happen!

Could you make as a short demo video of how it works? I wasn't able to figure it out.

Regards!
scann
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Scann,

This quick video by the BBC shows some of the action in the last segment of the video (at around 2:40).

--Rob
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Honestly, I don't think the G-code I create is going to be useful to most people. But the art itself is grouped and labeled part-by-part, and can be broken up as much as necessary. The first batch will be a complete sheet, but I can do individual parts later.

Scann, yes, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there will be a video.

I'm down to my last 10 hours with my CNC machine (it's going into storage as I move) and I need to test cut one of these things. Everyone please be patient for one more day so I can get all the machine-specific stuff done before I do a video.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Another teaser - getting closer.
Attachments
diybookscanner_teaser2.jpg
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

I hardly can't wait for the final drawing. I hope the drawing will be accompanied with the dimensions since I don't have a laser cutter. But can use a small handsaw. Ah, school days are coming back to my mind.
If the seperate parts can be printed seperately onto A3 or A4 paper then cut out and then apply it to a large sheet of plywood then everybody can make it.

The only thing I don't understand yet, what are the black lines in the drawing?

And in the translation the word pocketing is totally astray with somebody who picks something out of your pockets. :lol:
Is the correct meaning: a shallow indentation? So not a cut through and through?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Pocketing is cutting only partway through, yes.

The drawing will be in DXF, CDR, and SVG, so the dimensions are in the file. If someone wants to label all of them that's great with me.

The drawing is intended for a CNC router, not a laser - because a laser must cut all the way through, it cannot effectively pocket.

This will be difficult with a handsaw but probably not bad with a scroll saw and router. Since it is just vector art, it can be printed onto paper and pasted onto wood.

The black lines are text that describe each machining operation.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

daniel_reetz wrote:Pocketing is cutting only partway through, yes.

The drawing will be in DXF, CDR, and SVG, so the dimensions are in the file. If someone wants to label all of them that's great with me.

The drawing is intended for a CNC router, not a laser - because a laser must cut all the way through, it cannot effectively pocket.

This will be difficult with a handsaw but probably not bad with a scroll saw and router. Since it is just vector art, it can be printed onto paper and pasted onto wood.

The black lines are text that describe each machining operation.
We mustn't forget the venerable scroll saw. I often see these cheap at garage sales.
scroll saw.jpg
scroll saw.jpg (45.88 KiB) Viewed 11567 times
Another thought: Copy centers can do large format printing from digital media up to 60" x 100". Not sure what it would cost to have them burn one off.
Turtle91

Post by Turtle91 »

I haven't used a CNC router before - so sorry for the new-b question. How does a router cut the sharp angles shown in the diagram. Wouldn't there be some rounding of the inside corners due to the curvature of the router bit??
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.