DIY Book Scanner @ 26c3

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

wels

DIY Book Scanner @ 26c3

Post by wels »

By the end of the year there is the 26th Chaos Communication Congress (26C3) in Berlin, as every year (see also wp). They offer lightning talk slots (4 minutes max.) and I thought it's a great chance to spread the word about the project and the community to all the creative and nerdy people there.

I plan to prepare some informative slides with the rough project idea and of course some images of the scanners already build (as on the diybs main page).
Summary of the Talk.

Maybe, here are more people from this area who will also attend there anyway ? Then we could do this in a group of two or three ...
However, it seems that I got a slot, so I'm looking forward to give that tiny talk there. As far as I know, all talks are recorded on video, so it's very probable that you'll be able to verify my work afterwards ;)
I'll keep you updated for any changes, of course.

What do you think ?

Edit: If I use images from someone who does not want that I use them, please let me know, I'll remove them immediately.
edit2: updated slides
Last edited by Anonymous on 28 Dec 2009, 15:23, edited 3 times in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: DIY Book Scanner @ 26c3

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think this is TOTALLY AWESOME and you should definitely do it. I only wish I could join you in Berlin! I have always dreamed of going there.

One broad idea that I would like to push over time is that we do not all need to build these things -- that a few talented builders could make one or two to support a whole community. Just one person who is a reasonably skilled builder, and one person who can make the software go... and it's done. Try to cram that in your four allotted minutes. :)

If you need any image(s) from me or want to use anything I've ever put online, ever, you have my permission/support.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Another thing... people always roll their eyes and ask for an automatic page turner. But the organizations that have auto-page-turners pay people to stand in front of the machines to make sure they don't destroy books. I think that fact supports our continuing use of manual turning for now... not that I wouldn't absolutely welcome some method of auto page turning.
wels

Post by wels »

daniel_reetz wrote:...pay people to stand in front of the machines to make sure they don't destroy books.
I agree, thats the biggest problem ("Can I leave it alone ?")
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

daniel_reetz wrote:organizations that have auto-page-turners pay people to stand in front of the machines to make sure they don't destroy books.
My dad was a factory worker monitoring a big 2.5d plotter that cut fabric for auto upholstery. He'd start the machine then sit down with a newspaper, leaning back in a chair with his feet propped up on the deck of the machine (apparently slacking). But he wasn't, as soon as he felt the rhythm of the machine change, he'd know the machine had started to malfunction. If someone stood diligently looking at the machine, it'd hypnotize him and he'd take longer to notice something went wrong.

So, don't dismiss the need for those guys to monitor the machines.

If someone does devise an automatic page turner, s/he'll have to make some provision for manually taking over when the machine goes on the fritz. Just like my dad had to move the work to another table and cut it manually when his plotter broke down.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

daniel_reetz wrote:Another thing... people always roll their eyes and ask for an automatic page turner. But the organizations that have auto-page-turners pay people to stand in front of the machines to make sure they don't destroy books. I think that fact supports our continuing use of manual turning for now... not that I wouldn't absolutely welcome some method of auto page turning.
Me too, but I've started downloading podcasts to listen to while I'm doing the scanning. That, or listen to public radio. It helps pass the time.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

AWESOME: Wels did it, and his talk is now online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHnZodRMop0

Fantastic job, thank you! I am totally enthusiastic about your talk and I hope other people follow your example!