Hello from Daniel (July 2017)

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Hello from Daniel (July 2017)

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hi all,

It's been a long time. For the last ~2 years I've been enjoying my "retirement" working on black projects at big companies. It was thrilling and really interesting work -- but I finished my work, and I'm done with the secrecy and with working for big corporations. I've always been scrappy and I've always loved working with People From The Internet. Where I was, that wasn't allowed. I am free again, and it feels great.

I'm trying to make it on my own now. I've started a small business called "Vice Chief" doing fast prototyping. I have set up a shop with a bunch of great tools:
  • CNC machining (metal and wood)
  • Laser cutting
  • Laser welding
  • Large format 3D printing
  • Metal fabrication of all kinds
  • Optical metrology and measurement
Let me know if you want to prototype some new idea.

I also set up a YouTube channel (Vice Chief) where I am sharing fast prototyping techniques and shop tips (if you like it, please subscribe/tell your friends). My hope is that by sharing lots of interesting projects and hard-won shop knowledge, I can funnel some interesting work into the shop and keep the doors open. Mostly, it just feels good to be sharing knowledge again.

I don't have any plans to make or sell book scanner kits again, but I do plan to help out with R&D here from time to time. I'm a much better engineer now than when I started, and I'm sure there are places where I can still contribute.

I missed you all.
Daniel
hey_20170712_174857.jpg
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Hello from Daniel (July 2017)

Post by duerig »

Great to see you back on the forum, Daniel! I look forward to seeing more good tips in your videos. Your ideas have helped shape this community and it is awesome that you can engage with us again. I expect great things.

-Jonathon Duerig
bdfuel
Number of books owned: 0

Post by bdfuel »

Welcome back Daniel, we missed you :)
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

Good to hear from you Dan! Looking fwd to seeing some of the things you've been up to. Anything you can discuss here or is it all hush-hush?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

dpc wrote: 13 Jul 2017, 20:03 Good to hear from you Dan! Looking fwd to seeing some of the things you've been up to. Anything you can discuss here or is it all hush-hush?
If any of it ever becomes publicly available, I'll be able to say that I worked on it, but that's about it. :\ It's one of the reasons I didn't stay long, it's basically a black hole in the 'ol resume.

On the plus side, I was able to acquire a lot of equipment and new skills with the money I earned. So hopefully some of that will make it back here.