Camejo Hospital Medical Records Project

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

DonnaA

Re: Camejo Hospital Medical Records Project

Post by DonnaA »

Hi Paulica,
Thanks for your input. I will check out the software that you mentioned.

Unbinding the books is Plan B for us. Unbinding the books, scanning, and then rebinding is a process that might (1) endanger the integrity of the current handwritten system, if pages somehow get out of order, and (2) might damage some of the handwritten notes because they are written into the gutter of the pages.

Sincerely,
DonnaA
paulica

Re: Camejo Hospital Medical Records Project

Post by paulica »

Ok I wrote a large post, and it vanished. :lol: it was mostly nonsense probably anyway :)

1st. the softwares I told you about are good for specific applications. They might or might not help you, depending on the way you want your problem to be handled. Kofax integrates well with VRS which is on almost every cutsheet scanner on the market nowadays. Simple Index is a user friendly indexing software, yet it can do quite complex jobs.

2nd. if you unbind them carefully and cut sheet scan them you will obtain the most out of them in my opinion. After scanning you could microfilm them, so you wouldn't need the phisical documents again, you could just throw them out. Microfilming them is easy, find a digital to analog converter, which is a batch conversion machine. There are lot in the US, public and private institutions, split your work in smaller parts, talk with more operators and you could get the job done for very little or no money at all.