Tallahassee/North Florida area looking for book scanner.

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

Kaelic

Tallahassee/North Florida area looking for book scanner.

Post by Kaelic »

Hi all,

Just joined this amazing forum after finding this website off the now famous WIRED article while googling book scanning. If anyone in the north Florida area has made a book scanner and would like to sell it or is interested in helping me to build one, I would be very grateful. I have the money and the tools but work as a fulltime student and a fulltime paramedic in the ER with my first child on the way trying to get to medical school. I am trying to get all my medical books scanned and on my computer for myself but also as a way to educate healthcare workers and students at a rural clinic I volunteer at in Haiti. Please contact me at kenwestby at gmail dot com. I am considering building my own but I won't lie, I'm intimidated by the project with my extremely tight schedule. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help out!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Tallahassee/North Florida area looking for book scanner.

Post by daniel_reetz »

There is a Florida hackerspace called familab who may be interested in prototyping one of our new CNC-cut scanners. Get in touch with them- perhaps you could help them defray financial costs and they help you defray the technical overhead.

No guarantees on anything from me, it is still a beta project and I don't represent familab.
Kaelic

Post by Kaelic »

Thanks for the info. I have tried to get in touch with the hackerspace here in Tallahassee with no current success. Any ideas on how I would go about approaching familab or who is the contact person? Do they have a similar forum? Orlando is about a four hour drive from Tallahassee but it would certainly be worth it to get my books scanned.
zurkog
E-book readers owned: iPhone, Sony eReader
Number of books owned: 2

Post by zurkog »

How bizarre; I live in Tallahassee, and have been lurking on this site ever since I saw Daniel's "Instructable" article.

I recently had a birthday and was gifted with enough Amazon gift cards by friends and family to buy two cameras. I was considering on embarking on a Daniel-standard-scanner, or a "clemd new standard" scanner when I saw Daniel's YouTube video outlining the new Beta scanner (which looks awesome, by the way), so I've put building a scanner on hold until the Beta scanner starts to become more solidified in design; right now the guys in the forum are coming up with all sorts of great ideas, so it appears to be in a state of flux.

I can purchase two cameras, and have the computing power and OS/s (OS X, Linux, and Windows) to process any digital files, and know my way around tools well enough.

Daniel - I don't know anyone local to me that has a CNC router; is there an online vendor that is reputable and can use your digital files as input? If it's not too much, I may go with one of them and give the Beta a whirl. Have you decided on which camera(s) you're officially going to endorse? Clemd used Canon A480's in his because they have a separate video-out line (I like the idea of eventually hooking up LCD monitors like he did), but I saw another thread where A480's weren't usable with CHDK or whatever the new firmware was called.

Ken - I'm definitely interested; I've got a garage full of books I'd dearly love to scan and get rid of. My email is my username at gmail, drop me a line.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Kaelic wrote:Thanks for the info. I have tried to get in touch with the hackerspace here in Tallahassee with no current success. Any ideas on how I would go about approaching familab or who is the contact person? Do they have a similar forum? Orlando is about a four hour drive from Tallahassee but it would certainly be worth it to get my books scanned.
The tallahasse makerspace looks a little small and inactive. Not sure they have any equipment. Try the link from the diybookscanner main page to http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces and zoom in on the map to any that are close enough to you. I guess just try all the contact info that is listed for them.

Hopefully you guys can work together though and not have to drive so far.
randtke

Post by randtke »

I'm also in Tallahassee. Just saying...